What do I do!

Skyylarrbrycee

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2024
We have 4, 2 week old chicks (2 Easter eggers, and 2 barred rocks) they all get along great except lately the smaller barred rock(Mable) has been pecking at the other barred rock(Barbie)! We have her separated now but not sure what to do! We have them in a large brooder with plenty of enrichments, fresh food and water, a perch, and plenty of space. They are all healthy and under a red light. The pecking barred(Mable) did cause a tiny bit of blood on the other barred(Barbie) on a new feather poking in but we separated the one with a tiny bit of blood and brought her back to brooder once bleeding was gone. Also when Barbie had a tiny bit of blood the Easter eggers were bothering her also, but now Barbie is back in brooder with no blood only Mable is pecking at her. Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I had one two-day-old chick that was relentlessly pecking other chicks toes so hard it'd pull them off their feet. I found this article and tried a few things. The tapping idea helped but was short-lived. Separation worked, but then they'd cry.

What fixed it was a bigger brooder.

I hope you figure out a way to stop it as I know it's heartbreaking to watch.

I had one two-day-old chick that was relentlessly pecking other chicks toes so hard it'd pull them off their feet. I found this article and tried a few things. The tapping idea helped but was short-lived. Separation worked, but then they'd cry.

What fixed it was a bigger brooder.

I hope you figure out a way to stop it as I know it's heartbreaking to watch.
Thank you so so much for your response! Exactly! It is heartbreaking to watch! I’ll keep them separated until I can make a bigger brooder! Thank you again!

We have 4, 2 week old chicks (2 Easter eggers, and 2 barred rocks) they all get along great except lately the smaller barred rock(Mable) has been pecking at the other barred rock(Barbie)! We have her separated now but not sure what to do! We have them in a large brooder with plenty of enrichments, fresh food and water, a perch, and plenty of space. They are all healthy and under a red light. The pecking barred(Mable) did cause a tiny bit of blood on the other barred(Barbie) on a new feather poking in but we separated the one with a tiny bit of blood and brought her back to brooder once bleeding was gone. Also when Barbie had a tiny bit of blood the Easter eggers were bothering her also, but now Barbie is back in brooder with no blood only Mable is pecking at her. Please help! Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
:welcome

Something I've heard a lot of people doing when that happens is instead of separating the chick getting bullied from the rest of the flock, you separate the one pecking the other chicks. If you separate Mable from the rest of them for just a short amount of time, it will put her at the bottom of the pecking order, so she might stop the pecking. I personally have never had this problem, but it seems like it would work. Hopefully she stops bullying the other chicks! :)

Thank you for this thread. I have 15 three week old chicks of varying breeds and the four light colored ones had their tail feathers pulled out. I separated them to heal, put them back with the rest of the flock and quickly identified two bullies. They are now quarantined and I wonder how long it will take. I am getting ready to move them into the outdoor nursery next to the adult coop.

Thank you for this thread. I have 15 three week old chicks of varying breeds and the four light colored ones had their tail feathers pulled out. I separated them to heal, put them back with the rest of the flock and quickly identified two bullies. They are now quarantined and I wonder how long it will take. I am getting ready to move them into the outdoor nursery next to the adult coop.
I’m sorry that’s awful. Sadly we had to rehome our bully to a family friend. We tried everything and she just kept picking on the other barred rock😔

Back
Top Bottom