What do I feed a flock of mixed ages?

Retail store prices are very high here and will likely go higher. The basic grains of feeds has skyrocketed over the past 4 years. Does the blame belong to competition for grains from ethanol? Who knows. Retail feeds also get trucked everywhere and with fuel over $4 a gallon, the feed price reflects it.

The only way to save a bit on feed is a local mill, using lots of locally produced grains to cut down the trucking and handling, of course. Feed grains are heavy and there isn't that much margin on the products. I don't think anyone is getting rich off them. And while it is nice that some BYC folks use organic products and so forth, the double the cost prevents me from doing so. Just cannot.
How do you find a local mill? I read all sorts of posts where people just hop over to their local mill for feed. How do you know where they are?? I'd love to do that!

Many do not even have websites, although some do. Ask and ask again. The farmers and small livestock keepers in your area surely know if there is one. If you have an Amish or Mennonite community nearby, you can just about bet they run one. Again, these folks won't even have a phone to say nothing of a website.

Last edited:
Thanks sooooo much for this useful info!!! Ok, next question.....what do I feed my roosters once all my girls are of laying age? Is layer feed ok for my boys?

Retail store prices are very high here and will likely go higher. The basic grains of feeds has skyrocketed over the past 4 years. Does the blame belong to competition for grains from ethanol? Who knows. Retail feeds also get trucked everywhere and with fuel over $4 a gallon, the feed price reflects it.

The only way to save a bit on feed is a local mill, using lots of locally produced grains to cut down the trucking and handling, of course. Feed grains are heavy and there isn't that much margin on the products. I don't think anyone is getting rich off them. And while it is nice that some BYC folks use organic products and so forth, the double the cost prevents me from doing so. Just cannot.

I use our local feed mill as well, but my prices are almost double your prices. $18 is average for a 50 pound bag. That's $36 I am paying compared to the $20 you are paying. I bet your food has animal protein as well. Not ours. I have to supplement with organ meat (because I'm cheap and it goes to them or the dogs when we process).

Our organic feed here is $40 for a 50 pound bag. I think they are making money on grains here for sure. We have such healthy farm land. Rarely any drought. Our climates are very similar, with yours having more harsh winter days. We are packed with farmland.. so really why the high prices? Boggles my mind...

This is why free ranging is an absolute must for me. I would not raise chickens with the feed cost here if I didn't have the forage I have available. If I did raise chickens, it would be a very small #.

I am so going to cut back my numbers this winter. It's going to be tough to decide, because my birds are young and I don't want to choose the wrong keepers :|

Our hay is a good price compared to some of the prices I've heard mentioned though.

Thanks sooooo much for this useful info!!! Ok, next question.....what do I feed my roosters once all my girls are of laying age? Is layer feed ok for my boys?

They will have to filter the excess calcium through their kidneys and this can cause issues. Gout is the result of too much calcium and can ultimately lead to death.

I feed a game bird breeding layer feed during breeding season. It has calcium which the boys can handle at that time, but I do not expose them for more than a few months.
This is not from my local feed mill. I get it from a Purina Discount store. It does really help with my hatchability.
Game Bird Layena
ecmd2-0017656.jpg
A 20%-protein breeder diet formulated for fertility, egg production, and chick vigor. Feed from one month prior to start of egg production until birds is out of egg production.
  • Balanced levels of amino acids, energy vitamins and minerals keeps breeders in top condition for egg production and hatchability.
  • Calcium fortified for strong egg shells.
  • Complete feed - no mixing required.

Back
Top Bottom