1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Do I feed My Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosyposyosy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I am planning on switching to organic and i know you have to wean them off the horrible chemicals - but what do i feed them?

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    oh and also I dont know whether or not to order online or buy at the store.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Some feed stores sell organic feeds, but you have to ask around. Call the feed stores in your area. If they don't have it, see if they will order some for you.

A few of the members have ordered organic feed on-line, but I do not know where. I would imagine the shipping costs would be high.

Some have also made their on feed. Do some searches in the "Feeding Time " category and you will find various recipes. Key word would be "organic".

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Do a yahoo search or check ebay. I do a more health feed. I take fruits and veggies and mix it with there feed.

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I find the organic everything is so expensive. My feed store ran out of my brand of chick starter but did have a 50lb of organic in another. It was $7.00 more a bag. My birds free range, get healthy treats such as oatmeal, friuts,veggies on occasion and I feed the regular feed. I just can't afford organic feeds for everyone. All my animals are healthy and happy. I do not eat any of them and only the chicken eggs.

6. Randy17

Randy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Oil City, Pa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by