What Do I Feed my Ducklings? Chick Starter?

JuicyFatHead

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
WNC
I just found a post talking about ducklings that died because of cracked corn and chick starter.. What in the world am I going to feed my ducklings when they get here? My neighbor said she used chick starter and I had planned on it.. it is the purina start and grow... If anyone could tell me that would be AWESOME and I could figure out where to get it real quick (I live in rural Alaska..).... and what about niacin and brewers yeast as supplements? Mandatory?

Supplements aren't mandatory, they are however very helpful for the ducklings. I use "Poult Pak" from www.metzerfarms.com It has vitamins, niacin, and electrolytes.

As for food, I use Purina Flock Raiser. In my opinion Mazuri is the best, high quality food you can get for your ducks. Purina works for me, though. I feed purina flock raiser until laying age, when they will get switched over to Purina layena. Purina doesn't make medicated duck food, so if you get Flock raiser, then you shouldn't have a problem. If you can't find brewers yeast, and you can't get poult pak, then go to walgreens, and pick up 100mg Niacin. Put the niacin in their water, and give it a few minutes to disolve. do NOT get "FLUSH FREE" or "NON FLUSHED" niacin, as it's formula does not work on ducks. Only get FLUSHED niacin.
wink.png

Hope that helps!
smile.png

I use chick starter that is not medicated. As for the niacin/ brewers yeast it helps. I got a multi-vitamin supplement for there water that had niacin in it. It seemed to help my little weak one a lot.

As far as cracked corn never used it and never really read much about it.

Oh that is great! I'm so glad it helped! Thank you so much for the reply... did you get the supplement for the water from a pet store? We don't have one of those in the next town over.. so I could get it online? I know I can get brewers yeast though... Could you tell me the brand name ?

Ok, yes I read on another thread just now that is must be non-medicated. I'm having trouble finding non-medicated by Purina (which is what I have in town).. do they even make it?

Quote:
Thank you so much! It really helps. I took notes
smile.png
I have gro gel... I use that for my chicks.. would this poult pak replace that? Is gro gel a no no for ducklings?

Ok, flock raiser..I can start them on that OR after non-med chick starter? Since it's purina, I may be able to get it flown in from the next town (that has feed). VERY helpful.. thank you!

For ducklings you would be ok starting them off on the purina starter grower.

Medicated chick starter should also be ok for them.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use that or unmedicated chick starter. Gro Gel is great for ducklings! Places like metzer farms (And other hatcherys) sell Gro Gel for the ducklings in shipment. However Gro Gel does not replace Niacin, Poult Pak, Or Brewers Yeast. I think your easiest option is ordering Poult Pak, so you don't have to go on the wild goose chase looking for niacin.
wink.png

Glad it was helpful!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ok, great.. I have the gro gel.. and I'm actually now ordering the poult pak from metzer... does the poult pak have brewers yeast?

Brewers yeast isn't actually needed. The only reason I suggested Brewers yeast, is because of the nicain. Poult pak, and brewers yeast have almost the same purpose. Brewers yeast is only given because of the niacin levels, but I recommend Poult Pak much more, because it also has vitamins, and electrolytes. Poult Pak should cover all of your supplement needs.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh! That makes sense! I ordered the poult pak. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate that tip! I had no idea about it! I saw that it was good for stressed birds too? Should I consider giving some to my current flock when the new flock is introduced?

Back
Top Bottom