What do I feed my quail?

I recently made a thread looking for feed suggestions, but it didn’t get a lot of replies. I think many people have locally provided foods that you can’t get in places like TSC.

Here’s my thread with my feelings on the ones I’ve tried, as well as some alternatives I looked at. I have just ordered the Hudson feeds game bird feed, which is one of the link’s in that post, it hasn’t arrived so I don’t know how it is yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/opinions-for-new-feed.1395679/

I don’t feel Purina makes quality food, and I just don’t like them from experiences with their various foods in the past so I don’t consider them an option for me so I have no idea if it is better or worse than the other brand you mentioned.
We use dumor for our chickens, ducks and goats that's why I was wondering they sale that brand and purina exclusively at Tracto supply so they always have it in stock. But I'll look at your link I guess I'll just have to try different brands and try to find the best one for our quail, thanks for your help🙂

I recently made a thread looking for feed suggestions, but it didn’t get a lot of replies. I think many people have locally provided foods that you can’t get in places like TSC.

Here’s my thread with my feelings on the ones I’ve tried, as well as some alternatives I looked at. I have just ordered the Hudson feeds game bird feed, which is one of the link’s in that post, it hasn’t arrived so I don’t know how it is yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/opinions-for-new-feed.1395679/

I don’t feel Purina makes quality food, and I just don’t like them from experiences with their various foods in the past so I don’t consider them an option for me so I have no idea if it is better or worse than the other brand you mentioned.
Hey have you tried this one you linked yet, it's at our local Tractor Supply I really don't want to order online at this time (though I do order some chicken supplements online ) because of COVID everything takes so long for shipping.

I start to mix layer feed to the starter at 4 weeks (10% plus each day) and have completely shifted to layer feed at 5.5 weeks.

You should not only look at the protein. Starter feed is low on calcium (mostly about 1.5%). Latest with 6 weeks they need at least 3.5% calcium.

So a couple days ago I got 10 Coturnix quail that are 3-4 weeks old have have been feeding them Dumor Chick Starter/Grower that I do believe is 20% protein and I think quail need more(even though on the back it says quail can eat it). Tomorrow I'm going to Tractor Supply and wondering what feed I should get them, I know Coturnix quail will start laying as early as 6 weeks so not sure if I should get a quail layer if they have that. I do plan on giving them oyster and egg shells in a separate container so would I still need layer feed. Just let me know what feed I should buy. 🙂
Dumor is the brand name for TSC, it is manufactured by Purina. The 24% Chick Starter would be better for them, and can continue to be fed after reaching maturity.

I see that others are also having trouble finding the right food. My local TSC is almost never in stock with higher protein food like quail need. I was getting 50# bags of the DuMOR 24% then they suddenly stopped carrying it and went to fancy packaged 10# bags and the price more than doubled for 50# that way! Is online shopping the only way to go these days? Sheesh, COVID got everyone in a panic.....

Hudson feeds has game bird feed 24% protein, (not the quail feed) and you can get it on chewy for like $35 for 50lbs. I’ve been looking locally for mills, and I found a place near me that sells a different brand for less which I’m gonna try. I feed all my adults the Hudson feed currently and they do great.

My quail started on a turkey/gamefeed starter with higher protein then went on to quail breeders pellets when they 8 weeks put a turkey or game feed be ok

Back
Top Bottom