what do i get when i mix bantams

omartorres

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 6, 2011
hello igot some oeg bantams i have a trio of bb red and i bought a black hen and i whant to know what type of bantams would i get,im guessing brown reds??
hu.gif

Brown red would be extremely unlikely. Blacks are probably E/E; BBR are e+/e+. Their offspring would be E/e+, and appear black, probably with some leakage. Their offspring can give you E/E, E/e+ and e+/e+. That is assuming that you don't bring in another e-allele. Percentages vary depending on how they are bred.

Black Breasted Red + Recessive Black = Brassy Back

Over time and selective breeding you would get Brassy Back but for the first generation cross you would get mostly Black offspring with some Red in the Hackles and Saddle feathers.

Chris

There's a very old book written by John Baldwin devoted to breeding Old English & Modern Game Bantams. In i t he describes the result of a number of colour crosses including BB Red x Black. He states that a BB Red male over a Black female will produce Brown Red pullets & both Black & Brown Red cockerels. I tried this mating several years ago with some Modern Game Bantams & the result was just what Baldwin predicted. I didn't get anything that even remotely resembled a Brassy Back.

I am looking to buy a trio of show quality bb red bantams any suggestions in oklahoma

I guess old english game bb red bantams i know nothing bout it my son just wants to start showing them

Back
Top Bottom