1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do i get when i mix bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by omartorres, Mar 19, 2012.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    hello igot some oeg bantams i have a trio of bb red and i bought a black hen and i whant to know what type of bantams would i get,im guessing brown reds??[​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Good guess.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brown red would be extremely unlikely. Blacks are probably E/E; BBR are e+/e+. Their offspring would be E/e+, and appear black, probably with some leakage. Their offspring can give you E/E, E/e+ and e+/e+. That is assuming that you don't bring in another e-allele. Percentages vary depending on how they are bred.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Black Breasted Red + Recessive Black = Brassy Back

Over time and selective breeding you would get Brassy Back but for the first generation cross you would get mostly Black offspring with some Red in the Hackles and Saddle feathers.

Chris

5. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    ok thanks:D

6. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    There's a very old book written by John Baldwin devoted to breeding Old English & Modern Game Bantams. In i t he describes the result of a number of colour crosses including BB Red x Black. He states that a BB Red male over a Black female will produce Brown Red pullets & both Black & Brown Red cockerels. I tried this mating several years ago with some Modern Game Bantams & the result was just what Baldwin predicted. I didn't get anything that even remotely resembled a Brassy Back.

7. 2980

2980 New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    I am looking to buy a trio of show quality bb red bantams any suggestions in oklahoma

8. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    BB Red is a variety not a breed. What breed are you interested in?

9. 2980

2980 New Egg

Sep 5, 2012
    I guess old english game bb red bantams i know nothing bout it my son just wants to start showing them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by