What do I have?

Mamaperreca

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Missouri
I bought all these chickens for meat chickens. I was going to get some layers later. However, turns out I have dual purpose chickens and it is taking them much longer to get big enough for meat chickens.
lol.png
Guess that is what I get for trusting the lady at Orschelns when she told me they would be ready in 6 weeks. They had them labeled as "Pan Fry Specials". I guess that really means Miscellaneous.
roll.png

Anyway, they are about 10 weeks old. A couple for the red ones have started crowing and I can definitely tell because they have large waddles and combs. I am hoping to find out which ones I should keep for eggs as well.

Here are the ones i am not sure about breed and sex.

I think these are Barred Rocks and most likely girls, yes?

4613977036_46972a80a1_m.jpg

What the heck is this guy/gal? It has black feet and I am thinking Pullet because the comb is pretty small.
4613360935_867927d079_m.jpg

How about yellow chicken and dark red chicken?
4613981416_0aa4684b5f_m.jpg

Last, Here is the Roo. He is crowing so we are sure about that part. LOL He is getting a green neck and tail.
4613986096_69af02049e_m.jpg

Let me know if the pictures are too small.
smile.png

They are a bit small, but I can take a guess.

I think the BR are pullets.
I think the black one is an Australorp.
The yellow one looks like a Buff Orpington pullet.
The red ones can be a variety of breeds, so someone with more knowledge will have to chime in.

Oh thanks so much ya'll.

I think you are right. I think all my reds are RIR, even the males. The breed chart shows them having the green tails. Cool.

I think we aren't keeping any Roo's this time around. Just a handful of females. The rest are destined for the freezer.

Australorp on the black, definitely I checked out the baby pictures and she had a white belly just like the chart said.

I think the Barred Rocks are roos... : ( sorry. Their barring is very light and spread out more and they have big red combs and wattles. My BR pullet is 10 weeks and just started getting a small red comb and wattles and she is much darker. Their saddle and hackle feathers will come in a few weeks later.

I think the BR's are cockerels. At 10 weeks, pullets would not have that big of combs, and their coloring is quite light, indicating males. The australorp could be a female, but I don't think so.

Quote:
1 yes BR but not pullets those are roos
2 yes it is a Australorp I'm betting Male though
3 Yes it is a Buff but I will bet a roo cause it sure doesn't look like any of my hens
4 are RIR of some sorts not sure of what exact breed could be Production reds or NHR not sure but I do know it is a roo because I have one that looks just liek these and he is a roo

Back
Top Bottom