1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mamaperreca, May 16, 2010.

1. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chirping

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    I bought all these chickens for meat chickens. I was going to get some layers later. However, turns out I have dual purpose chickens and it is taking them much longer to get big enough for meat chickens. [​IMG] Guess that is what I get for trusting the lady at Orschelns when she told me they would be ready in 6 weeks. They had them labeled as "Pan Fry Specials". I guess that really means Miscellaneous. [​IMG]

Anyway, they are about 10 weeks old. A couple for the red ones have started crowing and I can definitely tell because they have large waddles and combs. I am hoping to find out which ones I should keep for eggs as well.

Here are the ones i am not sure about breed and sex.

I think these are Barred Rocks and most likely girls, yes?

[​IMG]

What the heck is this guy/gal? It has black feet and I am thinking Pullet because the comb is pretty small.
    [​IMG]

How about yellow chicken and dark red chicken?
    [​IMG]

Last, Here is the Roo. He is crowing so we are sure about that part. LOL He is getting a green neck and tail.
    [​IMG]

Let me know if the pictures are too small. [​IMG]

2. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

They are a bit small, but I can take a guess.

I think the BR are pullets.
    I think the black one is an Australorp.
    The yellow one looks like a Buff Orpington pullet.
    The red ones can be a variety of breeds, so someone with more knowledge will have to chime in.

3. chickaddict

chickaddict Songster

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    The dark reds lood like RIR
    The lighter one looks like my New Hampshire

4. Mamaperreca

Mamaperreca Chirping

May 16, 2010
    Missouri
    Oh thanks so much ya'll.

I think you are right. I think all my reds are RIR, even the males. The breed chart shows them having the green tails. Cool.

I think we aren't keeping any Roo's this time around. Just a handful of females. The rest are destined for the freezer.

Australorp on the black, definitely I checked out the baby pictures and she had a white belly just like the chart said.

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think the Barred Rocks are roos... : ( sorry. Their barring is very light and spread out more and they have big red combs and wattles. My BR pullet is 10 weeks and just started getting a small red comb and wattles and she is much darker. Their saddle and hackle feathers will come in a few weeks later.

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    oh... and 'pan fry special' usually refers to males. poor guys lol

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    the australorp is the only one who looks feminine to me.

8. LindsayB

LindsayB Songster

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:agree

9. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think the BR's are cockerels. At 10 weeks, pullets would not have that big of combs, and their coloring is quite light, indicating males. The australorp could be a female, but I don't think so.

10. Quote:1 yes BR but not pullets those are roos
    2 yes it is a Australorp I'm betting Male though
    3 Yes it is a Buff but I will bet a roo cause it sure doesn't look like any of my hens
    4 are RIR of some sorts not sure of what exact breed could be Production reds or NHR not sure but I do know it is a roo because I have one that looks just liek these and he is a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by