What do I need to milk a goat

silverfilly

Peepin N' Cheepin
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Kansas
I just got to thinking about the trad, I wanted the oberhalsi becouse she is not in milk and I am not ready to milk, but then I realised I dont even know what I would need to milk a goat, If its not to much maybe I will get the senaan thats currently milking.

What are the bare essentials that I would need to be able to milk a goat? I know I could get the milk in the bucket but what equipment would I need after that? Or should I just pass on her and get the other one thats not currently milking? They said they get about a half gal a day off the saneen and its her first freshening.

A milking stand is a major plus. Also you would need something to milk into (I use a plastic bucket), something to strain with after you're done milking then something to store the milk in. Also, hobbles *just in case*.....and the BIGGEST thing that is a must is patience....lol.

Other than that, if you're feeling froggy you should jump
smile.png

What kind of a strainer would I need? I can get a bucket and I can get containers to keep it in easily enough.

I do not however have a milk stand can I tie her to a post and milk her? put a bucket of grain in front of her?

For straining I just use old t-shirts and do a triple strain. Sure, if she's easy enough and you don't mind sitting on the ground I don't see why you couldn't tie her to a post.
smile.png

Patience is the most important. You can improvise everything else for just one or two goats. You can strain through coffee filters.
A milking stand is a nice convience. You can also milk her on the ground. Not so good on your back, but it's do able.
A picnic table, large wooden box with a lid also works. Just make sure if you put her up on something while tied that you stay with her so she doesn't jump off and get strangled.
Also important, get her owner to show you how to milk and let you try it. Also ask her what kind of tricks the doe might pull while you are milking. She could be very good while milking.

Know any plans on the web for a cheap milkstand? I got a bunch of lumber around here, wish me luck on this one..lol

I built the one from fiascofarm also. Easy to do with all the scrap lumber we had around. I would also suggest getting or making some udder wash and teat dip. You use the udder wash before you milk and the teat dip after. I have a whole jug of dip sitting on a shelf here but I have found the fight bac spray to be so much easier. Anyone want some teat dip and a dip cup?

Heck to start with you dont need anything other then something to squirt the milk into. If everything is clean you wont need to strain it..........
big_smile.png

Everything else is for our comfort or to make things "prettier".
If you are still young enough to bend or have a place to stand the goat (my choice) go for the one that is giving milk already.
Fun animals that are not fussy.

Back
Top Bottom