What do I offer grit and oyster shell in?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fletcher, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Fletcher

Fletcher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    central OH
    I hope this doesn't sound TOO dumb. I can't figure out what to offer grit and shell in. The girls don't need it yet, they're only8 weeks old, but I wan't to be prepared.
    We're going to start letting them out in their yard today or tomorrow. I know they'll pick up sand & gravel there, but will it be enough if they're not outside everyday?

Please don't tell me "just any container they can't tip over" - I'm new and clueless. We thought about a quart jar chick feeder, but my daughter taught Princess to jump up on it so that my daughter could pick her up and hold her with out falling into their baby crate. Now, the big girls like to sit on the feeders!
    Thanks for your input and letting me ramble. I have to go out, so I'll check back later.

2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have seen people use parrot food cups used, little hard black kind of like feed trough cups (I bought one of those but wasn't thriled with how it fit on the wire) and even seen someone use a tuna can. I add a little to their food and I had my DH drill 2 littles in some lids from the cans from PAM spray and I zip tied them on to the cages. I put the grit and oyster shell in the same one.I even have put crushed baked egg shells in there.I would imagine you can find something suitable. A small pet food dish would work too

3. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    I just put it in a little pile on the ground. Might be good to sprinkle a bit on their food.

4. jorgey

jorgey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Utah
    I use a rabbit feeder mounted on the wall so they can't tip it over. It seams to work really well and they can go get some anytime they feel the need.

The one I use is similar to this picture, but is has a solid bottom, not the sifter bottom.

[​IMG]

5. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I love to use glass it is heavy and easily sanitized. I have a set square glass containers for items like pasta and sugar and the tops are perfect for the wee ones.
    I also use small correll pie plates, microwave cotainers that are more long than tall, paper plates, anything that is low to the ground. I go to kMART AND tARGET just to see if there is other things that I can use. I love glass the best!!! I have used 2 sided sticky tape to hold bowls and plates in place so it cant be tipped or scooted. I have a few silkies who are smart and like to play cause and effect with their feed bowls.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Just sprinkle some on the floor wherever they are. They will find it!

7. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    I use the same as Jorgey-- a metal dispenser-type feeder mounted to the wall of the coop.

8. Fletcher

Fletcher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    central OH
    Thanks everyone! I know, I'm making this harder for myself than it needs to be. Someday, I'll post the trauma I went through the day we got the chicks!

9. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I offer it two ways. I have a metal dispenser like the ones shown here or I just pile it on one side of the hanging feeder and replace as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by