sixlittlechicks09

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Wyalusing
Hey everyone!
So right now I'm half way through my second year as a music education major. (
th.gif
seriously) I love my professors and the college I go to, but I just don't feel like this is my calling. I don't get excited over going to class or observing. It's fun, but I don't know if I could do it the rest of my life.
I'm a farm girl at heart. I always have been. My friends like to bring me their sick/hurt/stray animals so I can "fix them up" lol, and everyone has always said I have a "way" with the beasts we've had over the years. We don't have vets around here (and the ones we do have cost an arm and a leg!) So I've been kind of looking into becoming a vet, or more specifically and Avian vet. My question to the wise population of BYC, who have more worldly experience than I, should I go for it or not? And if I do, what's the difference in the degree between a vet and an avian vet?
I'm not unhappy being a Music Ed Major, I just wonder if I'd be happier doing something else. But then it's a "the grass always looks greener on the other side" situation, and I have put SO much time and money into my degree already.
So then I'm sort of thinking, maybe I could just take some online courses, or courses at our local CC over the summer dealing with Vet sciences, Vet Tech or the likes. Then I could see from there if I LOVE it, if not, then at least I've gotten to know some things that can help my flock, so it wouldn't be wasted, and if so, then I'll change majors? Ugh! I wish someone could just tell me, "You are going to be good and and love <insert profession here> so go do it!" Haha. If only life were that easy.
gig.gif

Same song, different day.
It took me FOREVER to decide what I wanted to "be" when i "grew up."
Well... almost 30 now- you'd think I'd know. I finally am going to pastry school. I was taking Nutrition courses....which was OKAY but I didn't love. Now I am happy with my dough
smile.png

It really is my calling. If you think you know in your heart what you love to do- follow your bliss. I hear you'll never work a day in your life if you enjoy your job!

mmmm. by choosing music education teaching. do you play music. people who often play music love to teach as well. sorry cant help you any other way. perhaps you need to have a talk with your guidance counselor. good luck.
smile.png

i went to catering college straight out of school and worked in the industry on and off for 20 years. then i went back to "school" at 37 now 9 years later im teaching and have been for 6 years, not catering but I.T and job application skills. i found voluntary work gave me a oppotunity to sample a different career without the pressures of a paid job which ruled out admin work, i hated it, and now i have a job i really enjoy. why not look at part time or holiday jobs either paid or voluntary to get a taste of a different line of work without giving up on your current career path untill you are sure its really what you want.
good luck i wish you all the best for the future which ever path you take
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I do play music, and I don't mind teaching. I talked with my counselor, and he just gave me the "Do what your heart desiresss" speech. Which is nice, but honestly, I'm 19 and my heart desires to sit on my couch and play with my chickens all day. I need to make money with some kind of profession. You guys are helping! Thanks! I've talked to my parents about it quite a bit, and they think it's a good idea to continue being Music Education. And it's hard to argue with them when I really don't have an argument.

Just my $0.02. Both my parents were band teachers. High school, middle school, elementary school. It was hard work and didn't really pay well, and they had to deal with sniveling kids and their horrid parents. But... they loved it all the same. There were a few kids in each class that "got it" that made the rest of the suffering worth it. In the summers they were able to do the things they "loved" - we had geese, horses, kittens, rabbits...

Honestly, if you "follow your heart" there's going to be something unappealing about ANYTHING you choose, even "sitting on the couch and playing with chickens" (that just don't pay the bills). You're partially on your way to a degree in something you can DO and PUT UP WITH and that will pay the bills. Life is not perfect. Find something you're good at and that can sustain you and try to do your hobbies in your spare time.

This really isn't meant to be harsh, but honestly, even if you raised chickens all day you'd find something unappealing about it after awhile.

I started out as pre-vet. I couldn't do the chemistry, the rest was no problem. I got a BS in agriculture minor in equine. There are many many jobs that involve animals other than being a vet. Some of my friends now work for Purina developing feeds, some work at Fort Dodge, one manages a thoroughbred farm. Animal behaviorist, I worked for a vet for several years after school, you might look in to a vet tech course. It is not unusual to change majors that is why they encourage you to take some basics that transfer around

Wow. Silly enough, I never thought about the fact that if I'm a teacher, I GET SUMMERS OFF.
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
I can't believe, almost two years and I got so caught up in school I forgot about that. So I suppose even if I become a teacher, I could work doing farm stuff during the summer or even go back to summer school and get a vet tech degree.
woot.gif
This is why I talk to my byc'er friends Thanks everyone!!

I would definitely suggest trying to get a part time job as a vet assistant before making any decisions. I always thought I wanted to be a vet until I worked at a vet office for about a year. I loved the animals, but oh the people were horrendous! It was like dealing with people and their children ALL the time, and that can be very draining. I decided instead to pursue science, but I'm thinking of trying to get into forensic medicine. I'd rather work with people and go home to my pets!

As for your major, if you decide to switch to a science now, chances ar eyou'll be going to school for an extra year or so for that degree. I started out as a crim justice major and switched freshmen year to biology. I will have to go to school for an extra semester to get my BS in Biology, rather than the BA. However, if you definitely have your heart set on vet school, the BA in bio would be fine and many of your music ed classes would count towards it providing your grades are very good.

Vet tech is a good place to start. You could get your major in music ed and get your vet tech degree after getting your bachelors. Just make sure you REALLY want to do that before you make the decision to be a vet tech. Like I said, vet medicine is certainly not for everyone. At the place where I worked, everyone had a "my way is the only way" sort of mentality and that was very difficult for me. Plus, after working with animals all day long, it was difficult for me to come home and have to take care of all my critters, even though I love them to death!

Back
Top Bottom