What do Light Brahma Chicks look like?

Connorrm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
I can't seem to find a real answer. The ones at TSC are all light colored like Cornish Cross. They have feathered feet with a few black splashes (dots) of down. For the most part they are white.

Wondering if they were misnamed? Shouldn't they have some black down on their backs?

What you are describing is what our Light brahmas looked like last year from TSC. Of note is that I was completely new to chickens, and they had the "White Plymouth Rock" sign up on the bin and the guy was talking to my boys at Pilgrims (preschoolers so they were clueless, but it was cute). Anyway, I got home and started looking up plymouth rocks and realized they don't have feathered feet nor do they grow out black feather tips. It took us a couple of weeks to realize we had brahmas, but it was no big deal to us. So, I think your description is dead on. They are fun birds, mine constantly have a "funny" look about them, always questioning in my opinion, very big babies they are!

Here's a pic of my 6-day-old light brahma. She has no black spots on her anywhere and was solid white when I got her. However, I've noticed that the feathers on her wings are starting to come in a bit darker.

Here is a pic of one of my Light Brahmas at 9 days old. Looks a lot different than yours, Wolf! All mine are this darker shade. I guess they can vary quite a bit as chicks. Mine are from Murray McMurray. Hope this works...I am going to link from Shutterfly:

Wow, mine does look different! She came from Cackle Hatchery. I checked out their website, and it looks like their light brahmas are all white, like mine. If you scroll down this page to the light brahmas, you can see their video of the chicks: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/lbrahma.html#light. I think there must just be a lot of variety, as you said. I looked at the chicks on the Murray McMurray webpage and they look just like yours, HudokFarm. The ones on Meyer and Ideal's hatchery sites look like that as well. Perhaps it depends on the hatchery's particular line.

Do all brahma chick's have feathers on their feet and legs when hatched? I ordered dark, light and buff brahmas and only 1 has feathers on her legs. I also ordered a light brahma roo and he looks like a lighter chipmunk color and no feathers. I'm convinced I did not Hey the correct chicks. I ordered from my feed store who orders from Mt healthy hatchery.

Just yesterday I found myself asking the same question. I went to our local farm and fleet store, saw the same breeds that I wanted and I was so excited. I got two Easter Eggers (so cute!) and what I was told by the "kid" (who clearly didn't care or know) that the last one was a Light Brahma. It wasn't until I got home that I realized there were not feathers on her feet!

I went back today to find out he sold me a New Hampshire, they were mixed in with the Brahmas. So I ended up with a unplanned baby and my new Brahma chick (she is only a few days old).

Last edited:
I specifically ordered brahmas. Waited 2 months for them to get here. Hate are the 4 I got the 3rd one suppose to be the light roo and the last one is the only one with feathers on her legs

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom