what do people give there pigs for worms?

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
I went to southern states feed store today to get new feed for my pigs; I asked them about worm medicine. They said they have pellet stuff 50# for 25.00 I had to mix in to there food everytime I feed them
barnie.gif
anyone try this stuff before? I think that is expense of. What do you recommend giving them for worms? I don't think they have worms but want to prevent them.

I know that this will sound funny but we have aways put the dishwater that we wash the dishes in, in there food and we have had very good luck with pig every year mine are doing grate;)

There is a wormer that is also used for horses (in different strength of course). It is called Ivermectin. If you visit Jeffersequine.com and search for "swine wormers" you will find a wide variety of wormers available for swine and other animals as well. I was also told this was good for dogs also-but, I have not done the research yet or tried it. I do know that Ivermectin does control a wide variety of parasites.

Hope this helps!
Elizabeth

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes if you read the back label you will see it has a dosage rate for pig's and by the lb. I have used this and works just fine and I buy it for $7.00 that will worm 3= 200lb sow's. Hope this helps.

AL

Quote:
Yes if you read the back label you will see it has a dosage rate for pig's and by the lb. I have used this and works just fine and I buy it for $7.00 that will worm 3= 200lb sow's. Hope this helps.

AL

Have you ever tried it on dogs? If so, any side affects or problems?
I was told that it was cheaper and just as good for dogs as the higher priced ones you can buy through your veterinarian. Any info on using it on dogs or cats? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

I have never used it on the dog's, I don't think I would before checking with the Vet first.

Quote:
I did look it up online just to see what I could find. I wouldn't have used it w/o checking with the vet. Good advice, though. Thanks!The website below gave some great info. I decided after reading the info from the website I wouldn't use it anyway. Some certain breeds of dogs can have severe reactions to the medication, including Australian Shepards. I have an Aussie cross and don't want to take the chance of hurting her. This info is for all that are out there that may have heard this same idea of using ivermectin to worm their dog. It seems the herding dog breeds are the ones most affected by this medication. Just thought it might help someone else that may be interested in knowing.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom