what do people use for lighting in the coop

blueseal

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
WALDOBORO MAINE
i put a clamp lamp in the coop for extra day light its on a timer since my birds have started laying less the last two weeks. anyone else do this and how long before they get used to it and lay again.

Quote:
Sure, lots of people do it; you may see results within a couple more weeks, or if your decrease in laying was caused by an oncoming molt rather than daylength per se you might not.

Please make sure it is secured by something other than just the spring-loaded clip, though. Although a regular lightbulb is less likely to start a fire than a high wattage heatlamp bulb, it can still happen if the light falls down, and you would be surprised at how many things can cause that. Secure it STRONGLY, and ideally make sure it is caged so a flying chicken can't break the bulb either.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

My coop has solar lighting! I bought some of those solar yard lights, mounted the collectors on the roof of the coop, and put the lights inside. It probably isn't the greatest for egg production as the intensity of light fluctuates with the solar input.

Back
Top Bottom