What do solid Black eyes mean in a chicken?

Erin~TheChickenLover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Arkansas River Valley
I have been wondering about this and I figure it fits in with the genetics part of this forum. My grandmother got some chickens a few months ago and I noticed that they all have solid black eyes. I found it odd because chickens of that type ordinarily have orange eyes. The chickens she got are just pet quality and did not come from a reliable breeder. What do the black eyes mean? Are the chickens imbred or just poor quality or something else? Thanks in advance for any input.
smile.png

Are they chicks or chickens, how old are they?

Different breeds can have different eye color.

Chris

What breed? How old? Are you looking at the eyes while they are in dim light?

Breeds that have orange eyes do not start out that way, at least not with Marans. They all start with a dark brown/black or greyish/greenish eye color, and as they mature, the iris starts to turn towards the orangey color. If you are looking at their eyes while they are in dim light, it maybe their pupils are dialated to where they appear to be all black?

These chickens are old enough to be laying now. There are some frizzles, one silkie, some rhode island reds, and then an assortment of mixes that I really could not say what are. All the frizzles have solid black eyes. The silkie has black eyes, too, but I think that's normal for her breed. I am confused because my frizzles have orange eyes and came from a reliable breeder.
Edited to say: There was good lighting when I noticed their dark eyes, it was a sunny day.
This picture shows one of the frizzles.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance on this, but aren't Frizzles somehow connected to Silkies? Silkies are supposed to have black eyes, so if there is Silkie in the Frizzles, it would stand to reason why the eyes are black? I don't do Frizzles or Sizzles or Pazizzles, can you tell?
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom