What do we do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hopefulloflove, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    We set eggs a few weeks ago. Today is day 20.. we are hearing some peeping sounds coming out of the eggs and some movement...what do we do? Just wait? Newbie here and completely worried, lol :)

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    On day 18 you should have added moisture so as to increase the humidity. Now you can sit on your hands but don't intervene. I usually pray and hope and talk to the eggs and hold my hands behind my back and yes I sing to them... Love this time...So exciting but nerve wracking[​IMG]

3. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Yes, we took out the egg turner and added water....we haven't opened it again...just waiting..lol..it is very fun, but has my nerves torn all to pieces! lol :)

4. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    first, congrats!!!!! [​IMG]Next, sit back [​IMG] and enjoy the show!!!!

and whatever you do, Don't open the incubator!!! [​IMG] You don't want to lose all your humidity !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us posted and good luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Donna Sue

Donna Sue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Missouri
    I'm waiting right here with you. [​IMG] I got my first pips around 12 hours ago and can hear them in there talking, but nothing has changed in 12 hours. Going a little nuts here. [​IMG] I know that if I would just leave the house and stay away for the afternoon that it would be best for my sanity. I hate feeling helpless like this.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    yep... have one early guy out, they were pipping this morning, went out for a couple hours to get stuff done and the little bugger was out and chirping! Heading back outside since it is too hard not to touch!

7. barkingmadmama

barkingmadmama New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Woodbridge, CT
    Hi All! Today is day 21 for us as well. We had eggs shipped and and I put some under a broody silkie hen named Ermine (our first time with this) and 7 in an incubator. Two days ago we had one egg pip and then yesterday we assisted in the hatch because I thought perhaps the little chick might die if we didn't. As soon as we got her head out she slowly hatched herself for the next 6 hours but in the end, needed a little help. I am sure I messed with the humidity by being so involved with her. Either way, she was born and I put her under our hen who is happy as can be to have a chick to rear. Also yesterday we had a second egg pip, but today, still not much progress with that chick although she is peeping and her beak is out. I am not opening the incubator again unless I must. I feel so excited but also so sad about the other eggs that I am not sure are going to develop. I didn't candle much because I didn't feel like I knew what I was doing, but I did remove two eggs at 14 days or so that were infertile. So I am waiting waiting and nervous as can be...am I going to have to assist this other chick? Are these two the only ones that will hatch? I didn't know I would be pulling my hair out about this!

Happy to day our first chick is thriving under Ermine, and she is clucking away happily with her new chick. I sure hope we get some more! But I am not ready to autopsy any eggs that aren't moving...I am not supposed to yet right?

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    it can take up to 48 hours- check on the one you helped that he can stand on his own, sometimes thats an issue- here is number one- he can't hurt the eggs by bumping them can he?
    [​IMG]

9. barkingmadmama

barkingmadmama New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Woodbridge, CT
    Yesterday evening, we had a third chick hatch, this time in 20 minutes! Amazing! So now Ermine has 3 lovely little chicks under her, 2 lemon cuckoo orps and one marans. And still we have 10 in the incubator and under Ermine...oh I don't know what to do! I sure hope some more will hatch!

I will post up pics as soon as I can get them off my camera!

10. barkingmadmama

barkingmadmama New Egg

Feb 20, 2012
    Woodbridge, CT
    Camera is on the fritz, but I wanted to say in the end we hatched out 4 lemon cuckoo orps and 1 marans. We had one black copper maran hatch, but we could tell she was not going to make it right away. She lived for 3 days. It was very sad for us. At least Ermine is happy to mother the chicks. And today she abandoned the nest and I got rid of all the eggs that didn't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by