what do we feed newly hatched goslings?

Farmgirl67

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
our geese have laid 15 eggs so far and it won't be long before they hatch ..what do we need for them and for how long do they need it?? and what do you feed your adult geese??

I feed my babies Starter feed for chickens. They love it and seem to thrive well. My adults get crumbles, floating catfish food, scratch and fruit and vegies from the kitchen.

I fed ours dry starter feed. Once they get it thats food look out!
Just get ready they poop a lot. Really poop a lot.
Give them a week and get them out in the grass so they can start grasing?

tgp

I started mine on 20% crumbles. After the first three days I started taking them outside for grazing time. After a week I started supplementing with fresh greens. At three weeks I switched them to %15 pellets because of angel wing (you can search for it here. It's a twisted wing condition and one of the contributing factors is too high of protein.) By a month, mine free ranged all day and got pellets to supplement.

non medicated chick starter, supplemented after a week with grass clippings (I went out and cut a handful a couple times a day with a pair of scissors).

when they got to be a little bigger, they got to go out to graze awhile each day (still got grass clippings, though in the evening, just in case they wanted more).

grass/green stuff is more important for geese, I believe, than for chickens or even ducks.

eta - my adult geese eat what every other poultry bird on the farm eats - they get 16% feed available if they want it, plus they freerange all day to graze on grass and weeds.

meri

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom