What Do We Have Here?

coopdeblair

In the Brooder
May 25, 2017
Dellrose, Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
We bought 8 chicks, 2, golden sexlink, 2 silver laced wyandotte, 2 partridge rock and 2 ameraucana.
They were a week old when we got them and now they are about 5 1/2 weeks old.
The older they get the more different they look. These are my first chickens but I'm thinking we ended up with 3 ameraucana or maybe two ameraucana and one partridge rock and something totally different.
One is much larger and has more colors than the others. Maybe it's a roo?

Attachments

• 20170612_153833.jpg
    20170612_153833.jpg
    974.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20170612_154134.jpg
    20170612_154134.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20170612_154713.jpg
    20170612_154713.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 19
We'd need individual chick photos for 1-8 as it is hard to see all of them in the group shots clearly.

I can say you do not have an Ameraucana, you have Easter Eggers.
I can see one gold sexlink (top left corner of first photo)
There may be a SLW, but I can't see if it has a rosecomb and any lacing started.
It is possible you may have a Partridge Rock.
And yes, one of the birds, the most colorful, is probably a rooster.

To be certain on any of that, I'd need individual photos of full body profile of each bird and head shots of what you think are SLW.

LofMc

I will try to get better pictures of them today. The camera on my phone isn't great and they take off running when you get close. They are so funny, they don't run away just around.

We have three that are brown with similar feathers. Roman, Polly and Mabel, there are suppose to be 2 of each breed but I think Mabel is the only Partridge Rock.
I'm not mad they're all really fun to watch. My husband is already planning on building their next run and getting more.

I thought the woman said they were Ameraucana's but I could have misunderstood. It was our first time at a hatchery and it was a bit overwhelming. We went to get 3 maybe 4 and left with 8, lol.

We bought 8 chicks, 2, golden sexlink, 2 silver laced wyandotte, 2 partridge rock and 2 ameraucana.
They were a week old when we got them and now they are about 5 1/2 weeks old.
The older they get the more different they look. These are my first chickens but I'm thinking we ended up with 3 ameraucana or maybe two ameraucana and one partridge rock and something totally different.
One is much larger and has more colors than the others. Maybe it's a roo?
First photo has a sexlink, a SLW, two partridge Rocks (one far behind the other in feathering) and two Easter Eggers.
Second pic is your normal feathering partridge Rock and lighter EE.
Third pic is your delayed partridge Rock.

Now, someone is shortly sure to pronounce your delayed Rock a male but I'd caution that delays are not always about gender so wait for the feathers and it will be clear soon enough.

BTW, I don't see any obvious males.

The EEs can be super fast to grow/feather and mature size can be quite varied. I have one that's the size/shape of a Leghorn and another the same age that's built like a heavy breed. Same source, huge diversity.

Maybe this will help.

Biscuit and Roman look alike, but then Polly looks like Roman and poor Mabel who is the smallest of all 8 is just now getting more markings on her wings other than on the tips.

The 5th picture is their coop and run, yes it has a netting roof. I witnessed a hawk murder one of my neighbors hens and I'm pretty sure I'm traumatized. So they're covered from top to bottom, lol.

Attachments

• 20170614_091655.jpg
    20170614_091655.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Biscuit.jpg
    Biscuit.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Mabel.jpg
    Mabel.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Polly.jpg
    Polly.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Roman.jpg
    Roman.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 17
Biscuit and Roman are your EEs, Polly and Mabel are your partridge Rocks.

Roman happens to have partridge-ish patterning as some EEs do which is probably what's causing the confusion. But, look closely at the chest and note that the Rocks have consistent patterning all around while Roman's changes a bit there.

Biscuit and Roman are your EEs, Polly and Mabel are your partridge Rocks.

Roman happens to have partridge-ish patterning as some EEs do which is probably what's causing the confusion. But, look closely at the chest and note that the Rocks have consistent patterning all around while Roman's changes a bit there.
Thank You! Mabel is the smallest and the only one of the 8 to get pastey butt. Maybe she's a little younger than the others? She's also just now starting to lose some of her little fluffy feathers.

Back
Top Bottom