What do we have? Red Golden, Dark Throated, Lady Amherst, a mix or throwback?????

I have to agree too.

They will still be beautiful though, just not pure. If you aren't planning on breeding/spreading them around,then don't worry about it and enjoy them. After all, they do look healthy and it is not very easy to find pure amherst or RG's anymore. I'm not even sure where I'll be able to find new blood that won't screw up my projects.

If you cannot find replacements to breed with, can you breed back to the parents (daughters back to father and son back to mother) to build up your breeding pens?
If so you could have a nation of pures off of a pair in a few years

oddbirdranch has a pure breed, I was asking if he could breed back to parents to get replacements if he could not find another pure bird.

oddbirdranch has a pure breed, I was asking if he could breed back to parents to get replacements if he could not find another pure bird.

If you start with hybrids -- even if you breed to a pure species -- all offspring will continue to be hybrids. After enough generations, they may look pure, but that's only when comparing characteristics that are easily visible. They will still contain genes from the other species, and thus not be pure.

smile.png

We do not plan on breeding back to correct the faults of our hybrid mutts. they are what they are and there is no fixing of that mess.
We did not get what we thought we paid for, end of store.
Again, I was asking if oddbirdranch could take his pure line and breed it back to the parants
He hasa pure line and said he may have a problem find more pure pheasants.
So could HE or could HE not breed back to the parants, Not to improve what HE has but to get more birds.

I'm a she ;) lol
The answer is yes, it's what I've been doing.

If the rest were true, then according to Darwin (not me and I don't want to debate) all chicken's would be jungle fowl hybrids. jungle fowl are in the pheasant family so therefore all chickens would be pheasant hybrids still after 1000s of years. I'm scratching my head.
A lot of purebred chickens would also actually be hybrid or mutt forever then... not pure... because we use other breeds to introduce or create a color other than the original wild color, then breed out the unwanted genes of the other breed until you have a supposedly "pure" chicken with that color.
Just thinking out loud. This could get pretty deep...lol
I better go to bed!

Yes she could keep breeding her pheasants to create more but that still leaves the problem of introducing new blood. The problem with inbreeding is that it usually leads to infertility, reduced resistance to disease, and genetic and physical issues. Inbreeding can cause certain desirable traits to pop up more frequently in a population, but undesirable traits are also amplified. New blood would widen the gene pool and help avoid these issues. Now your comparison of the differences of pheasant species to chicken breeds is incorrect. With chickens, were talking physical traits the make up a breed, but they are still chickens. We, as humans, select what seperates one breed from another, i.e. the breed standard. The difference between pheasant species is more than skin deep. We are talking about a larger genetic difference that seperates the two species, more than physical appearance. Also, darwins work delt in individuals being bred out of a parent population for long enough that they create a species, or multiple, from that parent population. Now that isnt the whole story as darwin worked on the theory of natural selection and not in the domestication of a species with human influencing the outcomes. Chickens have been bred form jungle fowl long enough the most consider them there own species.

Their beautiful none the less. I have to agree with odd bird ranch on everything she has shared.

"We did not get what we thought we paid for, end of store"

This is what I fear when buying mine because what i want to raise them for isn't just pets, but show/zoo quality.

Wrestling "pure strains' in the usa. I gather will amost impossible task.

I have San Diego Zoo stock RGs and some GhiGhi's in the incubator.
I have SD zoo x Chengdu zoo stock Amherst laying now.

It's hard getting pure in the US but not impossible.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom