What do y'all say? What gender are my 5 Araucana chicks?

Thanks for the input.... The breeder had a red pyle roo and either a gold duckwing, or more likely, a bbr roo in with the hens. If I can get some pullets, I'll try some test hatches.
Red pyle is dominant white. None of the chicks have white patterning, they all either have black, blue, or splash patterning. He can't be the father. And gold Duckwing is silver base color, so not the father, either.
BBR is most likely. But the patterning is pretty sloppy. And a good breeder should know exactly which rooster is paired with which hens, and know exactly what varieties you will get. There should be no, "This might be the dad, or it could be that one..", sort of nonsense. That's the hallmark of someone who does not have a clue what they are doing. The fact that you didn't have that info, means the source of these chicks is either very new to breeding, or simply isn't a reputable breeder at all.

Last edited:
Red pyle is dominant white. None of the chicks have white patterning, they all either have black, blue, or splash patterning. He can't be the father. And gold Duckwing is silver base color, so not the father, either.
BBR is most likely.
This is what I thought too!

And a good breeder should know exactly which rooster is paired with which hens, and know exactly what varieties you will get. There should be no, "This might be the dad, or it could be that one..", sort of nonsense. That's the hallmark of someone who does not have a clue what they are doing. The fact that you didn't have that info, means the source of these chicks is either very new to breeding, or simply isn't a reputable breeder at all.
Yeah, I don't know why, but it seems most Araucana people don't really separate the colors... maybe because its so difficult to find any birds to work with, much less a complete color variety? It does make life difficult for the rest of us, lol!

The breeder is actually a club member, I think he's a busy guy, from what I gather....but I was glad he could tell me what color his roosters were! - He said he swaps roosters out every other year, so I'm sure these chicks are hiding all kinds of genetics
hide.gif

This is what I thought too!

Yeah, I don't know why, but it seems most Araucana people don't really separate the colors... maybe because its so difficult to find any birds to work with, much less a complete color variety? It does make life difficult for the rest of us, lol!

The breeder is actually a club member, I think he's a busy guy, from what I gather....but I was glad he could tell me what color his roosters were! - He said he swaps roosters out every other year, so I'm sure these chicks are hiding all kinds of genetics
hide.gif
Just because he's a club member does not mean that he is doing things right. Big no no to be mixing and matching varieties. Does a lot more harm than good. Good breeders separate varieties. Good breeders know exactly what the lineage of each and every bird is, and what genetics are present. There is a reason there are only a handful of varieties that have been accepted.

Right, I raise a rare breed of sheep and I'm the VP of our association. I understand what you're saying, but members of a breeding club should hold to certain breeding practices that benefit other members and the animals too. I personally don't understand the point of being a member of a club and not having a beneficial kind of ethic.....

Back
Top Bottom