What do you all use to line the nesting box?

kkkkatie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
CT
Does anyone use those plastic nesting pads from Murray Mc? They seem like they'd be easy to clean. I still have my chicks in the brooder, so I have time to decide what to use, but I'd love to hear from you.

I just use plain shavings in the boxes, by I have a dog house inside of my run/coop, and my polish like to roost on the roof, so I went out and bought the cheap cheap clear plastic tarp stuff, from ace hardware, but any store sells that. I just hose it off, and when it gets really bad I just cut a new piece. Works well, the poop and things dont even really adhere to the plastic
smile.png

Is straw better than pine shavings? And I have several pine trees, so could I use their dropped needles? That's the same thing as purchased pine straw, isn't it?

I thought about the plastic pads from MM, but think I prefer something that I can just toss into the compost pile or around plantings.

Hay....I have an abundance of it; seems to work well for the nesting boxes. For the run floor, I use is, but break it up a bit...throw in scratch in the late afternoon so the chickens stir it up to dry...Works well; no smell.

Back
Top Bottom