1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you BYC FANATICS think?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 1, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

So do you think they would fight, I have 2 week old buff orpingtons right now and they play together, but next week I am getting 2 new day old Easter Eggers and adding them to the brooder with the Buffs. now do you think they will fight and stuff because by the time I get them they will be 2 weeks old so yeah! what do all you BYC Fanatics think!

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Two weeks old is much much bigger than day olds. They will pick on them, be stronger, and smarter. I think you will need to keep them separate until they are closer in size.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd try it. I put 3 day olds in with my 1 weekers, and the tiny babies actually started picking on the bigger ones, so I had to seperate the 2. Now they're great friends. Is there room in you brooder to put in a divider if need be? They may get a long very well. I've gotten chicks 3 weeks in a row, and every time I'd introduce the new babies everyone did ok.
    Sonja

4. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah there is enough room for a divider but if i put a divider then there won't be room to escape from the light if they get to hot... unless I put the light over the divider.... hmmm something to think about, iono when I get them I will put them in together and if things go good then [​IMG] But if not then I will try to seperate them somehow.

My coop is a big coop but closed off to the outside unless I say so, so if I put the 2 week olds in the coop with a light and water and feed, and have it closed off to the outside Could I put them in the coop alone? hmmm I will let you guys Decide? [​IMG]

5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I put mine out at two weeks- I am in Michigan too. I just used the heat lamp at night, because after all, it is Michigan...

The babies did great, they are closed up unless I let them out. And now, the neighbors just think I am growing pot in my 'shed'. (red glow from the lamp)

6. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    You're the momma hen, put them together and see what happens. Come to their rescue if needed.
    I have some 5 week olds with some three week olds who have been together for two weeks. There was some pecking by the older ones for a while but the younger ones tried to snuggle under them. After a while they got use to each other and there hasn't been any problems since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by