IMG_3167.jpeg
IMG_3166.jpeg
IMG_3149.jpeg
IMG_3098.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 2
He is looking really nice as he gets older and more mature :)
thanks, he's only 16 weeks old now. I looked online at several "cree" fly tying capes. Those are specific about the patterns and this wouldn't be considered cree, I don't think. I'm taking a guess that he would be considered a barred medium ginger.
The barring on the fly tie hackles are much sharply defined than my roosters though. That comes from slow feathering vs fast feathering?

here's a barred medium ginger
s-l1600.png

and a closeup of cree:
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 9.00.44 AM.png

Last edited:
@NatJ what do you think the chicks would look like if I crossed this rooster with black copper marans hens? The pullets would be barred? Black? The rooster seems to have a dark blue/gray breast.
Also what is the inheritance on ear lobe color? He’s got a pearly white/green sheen to his and they are reds.

@NatJ what do you think the chicks would look like if I crossed this rooster with black copper marans hens? The pullets would be barred? Black? The rooster seems to have a dark blue/gray breast.
Also what is the inheritance on ear lobe color? He’s got a pearly white/green sheen to his and they are reds.
Chick should have a base color of black or blue (half each way.)

I think he has only one barring gene. If that is true, half of his sons and half of his daughters will have white barring, and the other half will not.

If he actually has two barring genes, then all of his chicks will have white barring.

Barred chicks should have a light spot on top of their head at hatch. So if some of his chicks have no headspot, you will know that he has only one barring gene. If all chicks have headspots, at some point you can be sure he's got two barring genes.

Earlobe color is not a simple dominant/recessive trait. I think the chicks will probably grow up to have some red and some white in each earlobe. That seems to be the most common result from crossing red and white earlobes. The "white" part could actually look blue, green, or yellow, or it could be actually white.

If you have to buy some new chickens to start your project, you might also look at the olive eggers being sold by various hatcheries. Some of them are first-generation crosses that might save you one generation on your project. For example, if a hatchery crossed a Cream Legbar and a Welsummer, cockerels would be wild-type with one copy of the barring gene, one blue egg gene, and one set of genes for dark brown eggs.
I see whiting has a similar breed he’s calling Whiting Creole. It’s not a dark green though.
Edit: I misread the post, I thought it said legbar x welsummer
IMG_3264.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom