What Do You Call This?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chasinglights27, Feb 8, 2013.

1. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    So I hatched out a couple of chicks out in November. One of these chicks has grown up really well, but his tail flops to one side. I'm thinking about giving him away free to a kid down the street as a pet. Is there something wrong with him? Should I be cautious about giving the boy this little guy? what do you guys think? I dont want it to die on this kid due to health reasons. He walks and eats fine, so has anyone had something like this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He has what is known as a wry tail. It is a genetic defect and somewhat unsightly, but it is not life threatening. He should not be used for breeding.

3. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    oh okay thanks, nah im giving him to a 8 year old kid down the street. Thinking about culling the parents. :)

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Wry tail is most commonly caused by problems with the incubator. Overheating or under can cause genetic anomalies. Can also be caused my nutritional deficiencies with the hen that laid the egg.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by