What do you cross to get cornish X chickens?

Cornish also come in different colors so if you crossed a white rock chicken with a dark cornish would it produce the same thing?
I was getting ready to post that video. It could help clear up some misconceptions.

They do not make Cornish X by crossing certain breeds. They made them by using certain high quality breeding stock then using selective breeding through several chicken generations to develop the breeding flocks to produce the Cornish X chicks. A lot of the research is in how to manage and feed them. They grow so fast there are challenges.

Color doesn't matter, it's meat Production.
Color does matter since they are plucked. A white or buff bird makes a prettier carcass. You always have some pin feathers after plucking. If the feathers are dark, like black or red, they are much more visible. That's why they are white.

At this point, a good argument could be made that the various grandparent lines maintained to produce the respective halves of the parent stock constitute breeds of their own, though answering with a series of patent numbers (for whatever mix of lines are currently being used by whomever) would probably add to the confusion.

and yes, the old Cornish and the Plymouth Rock are where it got started - so a rough approximation can be begun at that point, then selectively bred for a lifetime.

Which is why we back yard owners don't attempt it.

Yes, at least 4 breeding "parent" flocks needed. I cant remember the specific breeds, but some of the genetic variations are slightly different. Cobb 500 and Ross 308, for example, are products of slightly different grandparent lines, but the result is very similar - both are known in the retail market as cornish x. I think there are some other ones as well. Different companies have their own "secret sauce" that they put into the mix to create an improved bird based on their own growers and consumers needs and wants.

yep, there's a 700 line as well. and one with a couple letters I can never remember. No doubt many others whose naming has not become public knowledge. And continued tinkering - Tyson Foods made the news recently, because their choice of male line wasn't as virile as they had expected, leading to a big drop in broiler production. They've now changed boys.

/edit and every time I see Ross 308, I immediately picture a wooden stock bolt-action rifle. I just don't see the name catching on the way Heinz' "57" did. :)

Cornish also come in different colors so if you crossed a white rock chicken with a dark cornish would it produce the same thing?
I asked Mcmurray Hatchery if their dark cornish and white rock feathers are the dominant type. I still waiting on reply. They usually answer my questions with in a week.

If you have a dominant white rooster crossed with a recessive black hen all the babies should turn out white. However, if the rooster and hen both have dominant color you are going to get a mixed looking chicken. Then if the mixed babies are bred together there will be 25% white, 25% black, and 50% mixed. I found some info on Google search, but can't remember link.

I think if you let the cornish cross eat their fill in the morrning and then take away their feed, they should survive. I started an experiment with my 6 week old cornish roosters from Mcmurray hatchery. I took away their feed this morning when they stop eating. I'll put the feeder back this after noon and take it out after they are done. I have two of them, right now they eating about one and a half pint of crumble morning to evening. Hopefully they will end up eating less by feeding twice a day, I may end up feeding them once a day, it depends on how they look. Right now they look too FAT and bald.

I asked Mcmurray Hatchery if their dark cornish and white rock feathers are the dominant type. I still waiting on reply. They usually answer my questions with in a week.

If you have a dominant white rooster crossed with a recessive black hen all the babies should turn out white. However, if the rooster and hen both have dominant color you are going to get a mixed looking chicken. Then if the mixed babies are bred together there will be 25% white, 25% black, and 50% mixed. I found some info on Google search, but can't remember link.

I think if you let the cornish cross eat their fill in the morrning and then take away their feed, they should survive. I started an experiment with my 6 week old cornish roosters from Mcmurray hatchery. I took away their feed this morning when they stop eating. I'll put the feeder back this after noon and take it out after they are done. I have two of them, right now they eating about one and a half pint of crumble morning to evening. Hopefully they will end up eating less by feeding twice a day, I may end up feeding them once a day, it depends on how they look. Right now they look too FAT and bald.
I can't speak to McMurray's, but I have used a TSC hen for breeding purposes, all her offspring are white, with black leakage that became more pronounced with age.

/edit the Roo was barred. I have a new Roo over her now, but won't see the first chick from that pairing for over a month - its next incubation.

Last edited:
If you ever do succeed in breeding cornish cross, I would try to breed the pea comb babies together or with a standard cornish. I'd do the same for the regular comb ones. This would be my foundation stock to cross together for meaties.

If you ever do succeed in breeding cornish cross, I would try to breed the pea comb babies together or with a standard cornish. I'd do the same for the regular comb ones. This would be my foundation stock to cross together for meaties.
I have cross Ixworth x Bresse and one disadvantage would be hard to determine male and female until after 16 weeks. If the goal is butch unwanted rooster at 10-14 weeks may be a challenge due to small pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom