1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What do you do differently when incubating duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AppleCrisp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. AppleCrisp

AppleCrisp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Hey! I was reading up on incubating duck eggs from chicken eggs. I did all the research for chicken eggs cause I am going to be incubating some only to find out that you need to do it differently. So it looks like I'm doing two different batches. [​IMG] hehehe
    So how do I differently incubate duck eggs? And do I take care of them the same as I would chickens with the brooder box?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good question1..i think i am going to try incubating some tomoorrow...thanks for asking this question!, Wendy..p.s.,,i DO know that they say the humidity has to be higher...

3. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Yeahh. I know that too lol! What are the percentages? hmmmm....
    Do they still need turning? and whats the temp? etc.! lol
    Thanks

-Julie

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:someone told me 70% humidity...100 temp(at the top of the egg)..and yes..they need turning..but..please dont take MY advice!..i am scary here!..lol..i've never incubated ANYTHING!....[​IMG]..

5. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    haha I haven't ethier! But I have plans! [​IMG] hehehe Just looking at backyard chicken is addictive.... imagine when I have my own heheh

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Her she comes to save the DAY!!! Oh, sorry, I would be the 'someone' redhen was referring to! [​IMG]

Ok, #1~~you can incubate ducks and chickens together. There are many that have done it, with no ill effects that they report.
    #2~~I will tell you the way I did it, and you can take it or leave it.

Ok, here goes....(remember, this is how I did it)
    *Set the bator at 99-101 degrees, even with the top of the egg (still air)
    *Keep humidity set at at least 65%, 70% is better. This is a steady humidity, don't let it drop or rise much!!
    *Turn eggs by hand, 3-4 times a day, end over end, as opposed to just rolling them from side to side.
    *(mine were also in with goose eggs, this next part you don't have to do for ducks)
    *Allow to cool for 15 minutes each day, after day 4
    *(ducks and goose) Mist with room temp water once a day, after day 4 till pip (I did it after I cooled, before I put the top back on)
    *Increase humidity to at least 80% for the hatch. 85% is better, but I had a hard time getting mine to stay at 85%.
    *It is also recommended to lower the temps for the hatch to 98 degrees. I honestly can not remember if I did this

And last but not least...DO NOT TOUCH THE BATOR DURING THE HATCH!!! They can and probably will take 24-48 hours after first pip before they hatch! They are fine, leave them alone, and do not touch it!! My darling son wanted to see the 'babies' and opened the bator while I was outside. The last duckling had it's whole bill out, and couldn't get out the rest of the way. The membrane was stuck to it, and I didn't realize it.

I think that's it [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL...yeah!..thanks Shelley!...[​IMG]...[​IMG]....shes helped me ALOT!...[​IMG]..

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I've hatched duck and chicken eggs together and they did fine. The trick is to mist the duck eggs 2-3 times a day with water. Then the humidity in the incubator can be kept at "chicken" levels.

Kathy in Texas

9. AppleCrisp

Nov 16, 2007
    Thanks alot! [​IMG] When there out of the bator can the share a brooder?

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They can, but baby ducks are sooooooo messy!! I only have two, on puppy pads, and I change the pads twice a day. They could probably be changed more like 4 or 5 times, but my goodness! Those puppy pads are not that cheap! I think I'm going to put a plate or something under their water, so they can't splash it around too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by