What do you do when you have to go out of town for a few days?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Elfy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Elfy

Elfy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    And no one is around to baby-sit the chickens and ducks?

2. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I just did this over the weekend. I added a feeder and a waterer. I cleaned out the waterer really well. I probably did over kill for 3 days without us, but then I didn't have to worry about food and water. Our coop is inside the run so I didn't have to worry about locking in or opening up in the morning. They just let themselves in and out.

3. Elfy

Elfy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    I lock mine up every night. So, I'm trying to come up with ideas for a secure run.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If it is just a weekend, they stay locked up with lots of food and water. If it is longer, my neighbor takes care of them. I reciporcate and take care of hers.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 places for water and a 14 gallon feeder. I fill everything up to the top so Mum doesn't have to do anything besides open and close the door. If I need to go off with Mom, I have a cousin or neighbor do it. They do not get to go outside their run only because if they should get caught, then the person chickensitting won't feel bad. And we all are very aware of preditors!
    Good luck!

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I put in several large feeders and waterers in each pen, this usually works. Even if they knock the water over in the first couple days, they'll be fine.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i hire a chicken sitter (plus cat and fish sitter). i just would not feel comfortable leaving them alone for more than 10 hours or so without having someone coming by to check on everyone. You just never know.

8. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    We never go out.

Anywhere.

Ever.

[​IMG]

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    [​IMG]

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:I agree. I have a sitter (either my mil or a friend) come and close them in at night and let them out in the morning.
    My coop and run is very secure but i would feel horrible if something did get to them and they had to suffer for an entire weekend. I like having someone check on them daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by