What do you do when your chickens stop laying?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
I know they only lay eggs a couple of years but can live for a long time. Our coop won't hold really any more than we already have (maybe 2 more, maybe). So at that point do they just become pets until they die and I get more chicks? What do people usually do who have a really small flock?

That will totally vary, depending primarily on how the person views their birds and their purpose. Some rehome older birds if they can and replace them with younger birds. Some eat their hens when egg production falls off. Some keep their birds, and either expand the coop or not. My girls are pets, so they'll stay with me through their old age, eggs or not.

To tell all truth... chickens never stop laying completely, though it can seem that way, if a bird was 15 years old (very old for a chicken) it may only lay once every month.

Quote:
Agreed. They don't just reach a point, say three years, and suddenly stop laying. They will continue to lay through their lifetime, just not as much.
I went back and forth on what I was going to do when my girls slowed down, but in the end my DH was the one that convinced me to keep them on as pets. He's the one that pays the feed bill when the hens can't, so as long as he's fine with it, I'm happy.
smile.png

My favorites, Lilith and Lil'Bit will be here for their whole lives, no matter what. Same goes for my roo.

Above post is very true. I was amazed to learn that a female chick's ovary can contain up to 4,000 small ova which can develop into yolks. That's a lot of egg-laying potential.

Back
Top Bottom