What do you do with cockerels that you can’t keep?

Nice! I would love 10 acres but most of it would need to be wooded... it’s already so annoying mowing the 2 acres I have!
Yep, roughly ten acres woods and about an acre and half all sand.. I tilled with buckwheat to manure.. Grew melons to a prize winning garden.. The rest I used for firewood.. on a forestry bases.

I did find a rooster rescue group, but they require you to forfeit your entire flock and sign a contract saying you’ll never get more chickens and basically commit to being vegan 🙄.
Holy crap! do they have a website? I have to see this sh*t!! :lau
Long ride out in the country nice quiet dirt road near a stream.
Dumping animals to starve and die is horrendous.
I guess nobody likes taking things out in the country where there's plenty of food for it in the woods and stuff and dropping it off near a water supply so it can drink. I do that all the time still see several birds I let loose run across these 120 acre fields at times.
No, never ever ok to do.

1. Take to auction to sell.

2. Butcher and eat. You can eat any age chicken, but males are best under 20 weeks, as the testosterone can make meat tough.

3. Give away, lots of suggestions above.

4. Cervical dislocation and bury carcass. In dim light or in the evening when a chicken is naturally relaxed, is best time to kill a chicken particularly if you are hesitant.

Lots of (mostly) good ideas already in this thread. Throwing out options I haven’t seen mentioned

Some additional places to post are next door and offer up.

You could try taking him flea market that allows animal sales (ours here does)
I’ve seen people mention getting their roosters certified as therapy animals so they can keep them regardless of an ordinance.

You could try and get the ordinance changed.

You could keep him as a house chicken. (Not as crazy as it sounds I swear😂)

You could talk to your neighbors and see if they would mind you having him... In my opion roosters aren’t really louder than dogs and maybe your neighbors don’t care. If they don’t mind then possibly no one would report you Especially if you have him sleep in a crate inside or in a garage.

At any rate you could print out a letter explaining you got an accidental rooster and that your trying to find a home for him and pass it out to your neighbors. This could encourage them to ignore any temporary crowing and maybe among them there is someone who knows someone who’d want him.

Good luck finding a solution your comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom