What do you do with older hens?

Apr 30, 2021
Rocky Mountains
I’ve got some hens that are 3+ years old, and I’ll need to decide what to do with them in a year or two. Do you keep them? Process them? Or rehome them? I know I’m going to want to refresh my flock every few years, and naturally, I’ll need a plan for the older ones since I have limited space and resources on our 1/3 acre lot. In the past I’ve rehomed them, but I wanted to see what y’all do

Our flock is younger so we haven't run into this with our own birds, but we've had friends from church give us their older hens. We process them and cook them low and slow in the crock pot. When I prepared my first one and didn't know any better, I baked the drumsticks in the oven just like I would normally like young chicken from the store. It felt like eating rubber bands! Low and slow is the key, my friend.

We get new chicks every spring. So, we would have too many chickens if we never got rid of any. Since we have gotten rid of younger (18 month or younger) chickens, we take them to auction. We label them with hatch date/breed/color egg they lay and they’ve always sold well.

we do have 4 from our original flock, and they will stay until they die. But, that has more to do with the resident teen who wants to keep those 4 original ones.

I’ve got some hens that are 3+ years old, and I’ll need to decide what to do with them in a year or two. Do you keep them? Process them? Or rehome them? I know I’m going to want to refresh my flock every few years, and naturally, I’ll need a plan for the older ones since I have limited space and resources on our 1/3 acre lot. In the past I’ve rehomed them, but I wanted to see what y’all do
I keep them

Back
Top Bottom