What do you do with the blood and feathers?

Charlene

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Processing my first bird today. What do you all do with the blood and feathers? Can I compost the blood? Or should I just rinse it into the ground? My dad mentioned something about adding salt and letting it congeal to eat, but I think I'll pass on that.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I keep a old metal wash tub under my cone. I put about 1/2 inch of water in it ahead of time and just dump it in the woods after. I only do a few birds at a time...if you do more birds, use more water.

The guts go in the garbage. (best to do it as close to garbage day as possible or else you get that 'dead body' smell going on!) We would need a real deep hole cause of the bears and such......I just can't see hand digging it.

You probably don't want the baby feathers off a cornish x.

We just put all in a bag, and toss out with the trash here, if it can't be dug under.

As for the blood, you really should try it. Drain into a dish of maybe 1/3 cup lightly salted water, congeal, and cook like tofu. Tasty!

I would think if you have any sort of property, just dump it all in the back. The buzzards, cats, coons and other chickens will make quick work of it.

You must be kidding me about eating congealed blood, right? MAYBE, if I were dieing of hunger, I would try it, but other than that, the dogs and chickens eat it all off the ground.

R

Back
Top Bottom