What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...)

☠ What do you do with your dead (chickens, ducks, quail, etc...) ☠

• Send it to freezer camp?

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Send it to the lab?

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Throw them in the trash?

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Make dog food?

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Bury them?

Votes: 115 54.8%
  • Burn them?

Votes: 26 12.4%
  • Compost them?

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Throw them over the hedge into the neighbors yard? ☺

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Toss them in the weeds or woods?

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • No deaths yet

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Taxidermy

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Flaming Arrow at Sea

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
Good question....I always wrapped them in a plastic bag then threw it in the dumpster. not good, I know, and the waste management guys probably hate me, lol.
I haven't had to deal with this yet, but as far as your solution- isn't that where you put other meats (scraps and leftover carcasses from chicken, Turkey, etc)? They probably don't give it a second thought.

I bury them. What's more, I bury them with the rest of their tribe who have died over the years. I have tribe graveyards now.:(
To be totally honest I like to bury them. I dig a lovely grave, nice and deep and wish them better luck next life around.
It takes all sorts....

We do something similar, but after 20yrs at this house & a million animals, I'm starting to run out of room. Plus I'm getting tired in my old age & the clay/soil in my area is hard digging. I buried my latest bird yesterday (RIP Hey Hey.) Fighting the soil in sweltering heat I just kept thinking, "theres got to be a better way." It gets too hot here to have anything in the trashcan, but after an hour I seriously started to consider it. (I hope my DD isn't reading this. :oops:)

I haven't had to do this yet, but if we can't eat it, it will go in the trash or a meal for the turkey buzzards I suppose.
My in-laws take care of varmints that destroy their crops and have a place where they toss it and the turkey buzzards feed. It is far enough from us that I wouldn't worry about a predator finding its way back to us.
However, since this is my first flock of chickens and ducks, I might be too attached and just might make a memorial garden in the woods. When that time comes, I will know what to do.

I haven't had to deal with this yet, but as far as your solution- isn't that where you put other meats (scraps and leftover carcasses from chicken, Turkey, etc)? They probably don't give it a second thought.

DH had an aunt that would double bag all dirty diapers because she didn't want to upset the garbage man. :lau

We have 98 acres, and in the back 40 we have a hill we call boot hill.
We run the access roosters we cull up there and offer them to the wildlife.
Fox and coyote get used to going there and when the season is right, we hunt the hill top for preditors.
My favorites get burried though.

Growing up, grandparents and parents taught us to burn dead birds as the dead carry too many diseases.
So we simply put them in a cardboard box and burn them in a metal barrel. This way no animal can get in and destroy remains, and there's no fire risk.

Only suspicious deaths will I send in to state labs for testing as it's extremely expensive in Nebraska. 250$+ per bird.

I'm very attached to my chickens so I try to be respectful when they pass on.

Back
Top Bottom