What do you do with your spoiled wood shavings when changing the pen?

I don't really compost (not a gardener, and between the chickens and the dogs, no scrap of food goes to waste in this house) but I do have a "bedding mountain" where all the dog poop and soiled critter litter goes.
smile.png
It's way out in the woods and doesn't bother anyone.

Compost pile - one of reasons we got ducks, eggs and compost and they eat slugs....now just because I think they are so amusing and get such a kick out of watching and taking care of them. Messy they are!

Mulch for the Blueberry plants. The pine shavings are acid and Blueberries are acid loving plants.

I dump it off to one side and let it sit there and age, and then as winter approaches, it gets raked over onto the root area.

The first week in the brooder, when the ducklings are on paper towels and no shavings, the dirty paper towels go into the compost bin.

Hi, there. I need a better system....I read this forum like mad, I am now on page 115 since I LOVE to read all these posts......it has taken me quite a while to get thru all the pages and there are almost SEVEN HUNDRED pages.....Will take me forever, but I am totally enjoying it.....I like all the ideas everyone shares about these MESSY, MESSY, MMEESSSSYY ducks!
big_smile.png
It has taught me to search for my question before posting, so I hope I haven't overlooked a question like this one!

So, I need some tweaking of my system, I think. Everyday I take my four dang adorable babies out of their rubbermaid tub put them outside in a movable baby playyard with their food, water, and a fresh clean kiddie pool. I come back inside to clean their bedtime mess. Each night, I put their waterer on one side with a plastic tray underneath it to keep it somewhat cleaner (yeah, that works!), and then on the other I put about 3 scoops of shavings for their bedding. I have to throw it all away each day because it stinks, is messy, and is soaked. So, I just dump it in my outside garbage can....what do you do with yours?? My garbage can is going to need a HUGE cleaning when they are done being inside....it stinks and is plain disgusting. I just went and got a rabbit cage (a nice big one) to use for them at night so they can stay outside instead of coming in. Hubby is going to reinforce the legs before I start using it, plus I have to talk myself into knowing they will be FINE outside!!! Anyway.....what do you guys do with your ducklings while they are inside....do you take them outside each day? Do you bring them in and out each day? Like I said, I love all the ideas from here, but I still haven't read anything that jumps out at me that I want to use. I LOVE having babies, completely love it, but they are such a pain I just wish they would grow already and be done. When my first babies were big enough to go outside, I swore to myself that I would never have babies inside ever ever ever EVER again. Well......now I have four, and I want to get some Anconas as soon as possible (probably spring...not sure I can make it that long!), so here I am again with a STINKY bathroom, carrying these adorable little twerps outside and inside each day. And what is funny is my hubby is working on making some kind of outside coop for me when we move our pond....I told him that I am not planning on having babies after my Anconas....he just stops what he is doing and looks at me. LOL. Why, why, WHY are they so addicting??

Thanks so much for any replies....appreciate it!
Start a compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom