What do you dog people think about a rottweiler/lab mix as a chicken/farm dog?

I agree but imprinting definitely has a part to play. I know a lot of collies who herd birds just because they HAVE to. Unrelated though, i worked with a german wireharid pointer a few years ago in the kennels. oh my lord. I had to give up on it, it was just totally untrainable and a total nightmare the whole time. He would jump up to the top of the cage and get his paws through the top of the door then let go and hang himself, barked all day, chewed the doors off, fought with every dog it saw, jumped out of the 9ft outside run, was UNWALKABLE, pushed you over and nipped at your anytime you went near it and would barge past you to get out of the cage when you opened it to put food in. We eventuially had to put it in the "dangerous dog" pen purely because he was such a nightmare but he was so dopey he would not go to the other side of the pen to get locked in so we had to put his food in then walk around to the otehr side and call him and run for dear life to get to the other side to close the door before the dope ran back in to greet you. The owner was asked to go elsewhere if she ever wanted to go on vacation again. That dog scarred me for life lol

As with most situations and likely with the OP as well, the weak link is usually the owners control over dog if training is required. My German short-haired pointer is the smartest dog I have ever encountered yet still has the potential of being a numbnut when riled up. OP as well will need to suppress the numbnut drive and that may require providing the dog with occasional diversions and developing control. Even the typcial guard dog has a numbnut mode and that may need to be diverted to control losses of birds.

I think you'd regret it.

Rotts may have orignally been bred for HERDING, (which is not a good trait for a guardian dog), but those bloodlines were replaced long ago with dogs bred for size and appearance.

Labs are hunting dogs, and you're talking about what is actually a mutt, so there's no predicting what instincts will dominate.

Rotties have a big prey drive, but just like everyone has said a lot can be done with training. My Rottie acts like the "rooster of the flock" always running and checking on the hens if he hears a scuffle. He was introduced to the hens as day old chicks, was curious at first but now just chills out there with them all day.

as I said in your other threads, your best bet is going to be getting an older dog. One past the puppy stage, so at least 1-2 years old (larger breeds mature slower).

Train train train!

Yes yes yes. Then some more.
smile.png

Had an older Rotti X and she was very difficult to train. Always trying to get at birds, possums and any other creature that she could- had to put off getting chickens till she passed ...16 years!!!

Last edited:
as I said in your other threads, your best bet is going to be getting an older dog. One past the puppy stage, so at least 1-2 years old (larger breeds mature slower).

I am not so sure - puppies tend to be easier to train and it can be hard to brake older dogs out of bad habits.... not the rule just my experience
wink.png

Last edited:
mmmm..... dogs and chickens.... I like to have both but sometimes you just have to grit your teeth as dogs will be dogs......And well.... Chickens are so darn tasty
lau.gif

While the breed and it's inherent trait's does matter what matter's even more is the individual dog's temperment. There are extremes in every breed. The next big factor is how much time you are willing to spend training the dog. Large breeds are considered puppies until they are at least two years old. Expect foolish puppy behavior the entire time and possibly longer! And training really never ends, it just usually gets easier as the dog matures. Usually! I would never, at any point, allow a young dog alone with the chickens. Doing so only sets your dog up for failure by putting him in a situation he may not be able to resist.

That said, I have had both labs and rotties. Rotties do have a very high prey drive, two of my three were good with chickens, one could never be trusted with any critter smaller then herself. My lab patiently put up with various hens laying their eggs in her dog house her entire life of 14 years. My current rottie, after initial interest, couldn't care less about my chickens, my two year old Border Collie mix is equally as good. Lot's and lot's and lot's of training! And then some more training and tomorrow we'll do some more!

And personally, as far as critter proofing my dogs, I prefer starting my pup's myself rather then bringing in an older dog. Unless that older dog is coming from a known background and is already proven with livestock. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom