What do you feed chickens of all different ages?

shortnsweet1025

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I have chickens from 2-6 months all living together and two of my red stars have started laying...What's the best thing to feed all of them without causing problems?

grower/finisher like Flockraiser
smile.png
I have 3 age groups as well seperated by 4 weeks, and they will have Flockraiser + oyester shell once they all start laying. I think I will always have different ages or chicks, and Flockraiser + oyester shell is a great compromise. The grower/finisher also have 2% more protien then the laying food, so definately cannot go wrong. As long as you offer extra calcium like oyester shell to the layers (younger ones probably won't eat it if it is free choice) you should be fine
big_smile.png

Okie dokie!! Thanks... OO..One more....Has anyone ever heard of feeding chickens cabbage for some nutritional benefit? One of my dad's friend is an "old country boy" and he suggested this.

I feed grower/finisher feed to everybody over 8 weeks of age (but the youngsters under 8 wks get chick starter and are in brooders, away from the flock, anyway) and put out crushed oyster shell, free choice.

And as for cabbage, that's one of my treats for 'em: Tether Cabbage!
41679_lacypractice.jpg

41679_minerva-tethercabbage.jpg

41679_first_hits.jpg

41679_carlfirstpeck.jpg

And what it looks like by the end of the day.
41679_cabbageallgone.jpg

I use Flock Raiser for everything, personally.
smile.png
All my chicks, adult chickens, ducks, quail, guinea fowl, and chukar are on it and they do great! I've been using it for quite a while and I don't have any complaints. It is good to supplement with oyster shell for the adult birds, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom