What do you feed chickens of all different ages?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shortnsweet1025, Sep 24, 2010.

1. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I have chickens from 2-6 months all living together and two of my red stars have started laying...What's the best thing to feed all of them without causing problems?

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    grower/finisher like Flockraiser [​IMG] I have 3 age groups as well seperated by 4 weeks, and they will have Flockraiser + oyester shell once they all start laying. I think I will always have different ages or chicks, and Flockraiser + oyester shell is a great compromise. The grower/finisher also have 2% more protien then the laying food, so definately cannot go wrong. As long as you offer extra calcium like oyester shell to the layers (younger ones probably won't eat it if it is free choice) you should be fine [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You can give them grower feed with oyster shell on the side, is one solution.

4. shortnsweet1025

shortnsweet1025 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Okie dokie!! Thanks... OO..One more....Has anyone ever heard of feeding chickens cabbage for some nutritional benefit? One of my dad's friend is an "old country boy" and he suggested this.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I feed grower/finisher feed to everybody over 8 weeks of age (but the youngsters under 8 wks get chick starter and are in brooders, away from the flock, anyway) and put out crushed oyster shell, free choice.

And as for cabbage, that's one of my treats for 'em: Tether Cabbage!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what it looks like by the end of the day.
    [​IMG]

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I use Flock Raiser for everything, personally. [​IMG] All my chicks, adult chickens, ducks, quail, guinea fowl, and chukar are on it and they do great! I've been using it for quite a while and I don't have any complaints. It is good to supplement with oyster shell for the adult birds, though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by