what do you feed three 2 week old chicks, how much, and how long?

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
what do you feed three 2 week old chicks, how much, and how long?

These are RIR Barred rock crosses. What should they be eating to be great future egg layers?

Brand names would help so I know exactly what to get.

Also, once they are too old for that feed, what should they be eating, how much, and for how long?

Right now they should be on a "chick starter" or a "chick starter/grower". Feed them this starter grower till they start to lay eggs.

Brand doesn't really matter, but some common ones are Honor and Purina. You can get the feeds at your feed store.

We use Dumor, but I don't like the crumbles for when the get older, I like the pellets better.
smile.png

Just my two cents

I started mine on Purina Start N Grow, but switched to Nutrena Nature Wise because it was easier to get. My chicks seemed to like them both and have done well.

I keep mine on starter until they are nearing laying age, about 7 months, or so. I then switch to laying pellets. The brand is not important, just make sure its a reputable company. I free feed them and recommend that you do too. Don't let your chicks run out of feed. Have food and fresh water available at all times. Don't try to set up a schedule as you would for other livestock. They eat off and on constantly, but if you only have three a bag of feed will last you quite a long time.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom