What do you feed your ducks?

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
My two ducks are in with my chickens, or they all free range together some days. They all eat out of the same feeder. But my new Pekin hasn't eaten anything from the feeder that I've seen. I'm a little worried. Today was his first full day here. He's eating grass and bugs, but he doesn't go up to the feeder, and when I throw out scratch he just looks around confused. I'm wondering if maybe the farmer I got him from fed him something different from crumble and grains...? He did eat some scraps from supper tonight--apple peel, plain noodles, and leftover corn. My hens and chicks are eating layer feed and/or chick feed in the feeder and my 7 week old Pekin chows down along side them and always has.

If the ducks should be eating something else what would it be? We have a TSC (where I looked for duck feed and couldn't find anything), or we also have a Southern States, and there's a local feed store in another town about 30 minutes away that will mix and grind grains on request if that would be better...just a matter of taking the time to drive all the way over there.

So what do you feed your ducks? I want them to be very healthy!

Maybe he was just used to free ranging?

My ducks have run of the whole place, they keep themselves Very, Very fat eating off the creek/pond/fields. I rarely give them more than a handful of layer crumble, sometimes they get a little bit of dog food for a treat...only because they started "sneaking" in the house sometimes when we'd leave the door open on hot days and get into the dog food. they kind of expect it even though they cant get into the house anymore. mine are weirdos though
tongue.png

That's what I would think too, that he was used to free ranging. But he will learn where the food is, and he won't starve himself.

But to answer your question, I feed my adult ducks the 16% calf grower that the feed mill mixes. It has grains, pellets, corn, and vitamins and such added to it. I actually feed it to all my animals, except for baby birds, quail, and of course the dogs (though the puppies like to run the chickens off and eat it too!).

My ducks free range and are supplemented with Flock Raiser or Layena, depending on life stage. Sometimes my feed store has wild game feed, and then I get that (I have wild ducks too), but they don't seem to carry it regularly.

During the winter when they are not laying or breeding I just feed Flock Raiser even to the adults. Keeps the weight up in the cold.

Mine forage heavily and then at night I have a feeder that is half scratch feed and half game bird crumbles. Maybe your Pekin doesn't like to eat with a crowd ;-)

At the farm he came from he was in a pen with just dirt on the ground and a little wooden house, so there wasn't any grass or anything. You should have seen him go wild when our other little duck first showed him the deep clover in the corner! They spend a lot of time over there with their beaks in it, I guess eating up bugs and stuff. I saw him slurp down a big night crawler today too. I discovered that he'll eat scratch if you throw it in their water trough. I might go to the local feed store today and see what kind of mixes they suggest for ducks and chickens together, and I'm going to ask them about the calf grower.

It could be that your Pekin is just finding enough bugs to eat on it's own - I'm sure it'll give the feeder a try if it gets hungry enough
wink.png

I feed my ducks Purina Duck Chow - they have starter, grower, and breeder but no maintenance formula - so, I mix the grower and breeder formulas together during the summer, and them feed the grower formula during the winter (with a little kelp meal sprinkled over the top). They always have access to grit and oyster shell, and all the grass, clover, and dandelions they can eat during the summer, plus whatever creepy, crawly, buzzing critters they can find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine just reached two weeks, so per Holderread's suggestion, I'm feeding them an 18% protein, which I "made" by blending Layena and Flock Raiser.

Mine forage as well as get game bird feed and flock raiser for the drake, and the same with laying pellets for the girls. Plus lots of clean well water and whaterever treats I have to take out.

Here is a fav - You know the skin on fresh pineapples? Puree it your food processor. Add lots of cold water so the bits are floating, chop some grass or spinach or clover and make them a refreshing cool cocktail for a hot day. They smack and scramble to get every little nibblet out of the pan. lol

Back
Top Bottom