What Do you feed your ducks?

My food mill said that ducks need more protein than chicken. So, I've been feeding them (a boy and a girl Rouen) about a large cup of chicken feed with a third cup of sunflower seeds for protein and some dried meal worms for treats. I don't want them to get fat, but I also don't want them to starve. Any suggestions?

I have two mallards, and I feed them poultry grain that I buy at the Tractor Supply store. It is mostly for chickens, but the bag has pictures of ducks and turkeys too. I put it next to their water bowl and they eat it with the water. It makes the water all thick and yucky! Maybe I shouldn't put the water near the food?

They also search the yard for bugs,worms and grass! Sometimes I buy them feeder fish or give them kale, spinach or leaf lettuce.

Hey there,

I was wondering where you buy this all purpose backyard flock feed, as I will be keeping quails and ducks

TIA.

Tilly

Hey there,

I was wondering where you buy this all purpose backyard flock feed, as I will be keeping quails and ducks

TIA.

Tilly
You can buy Purina Flock Raiser at most feed stores and TSC it's for all poultry it comes in crumble which would be nice for quail too.

@tillyywoodss Welcome to BYC

I'm not sure Purina is a huge company so it maybe or under a different name but check around because if they don't have that name product they may have the All flock made in the UK also check on the Quail thread and the "Where am I where are you" thread you can talk to members in the UK and ask them directly.

Purina is a worldwide brand, but it's non-US products seem limited to pet (cat & dog) foods, and are Purina (Nestle) not Purina Mills (Land o Lakes) feeds.

Looking online It appears that GLW and ABN (under the Slimbridge brand?) but I can't find details on their nutritional makeup, so I can't say which would be better for ducks. Unfortunately, it seems that a majority of the members on the forum are US based, so hopefully someone in the UK can provide some more info.

If you want a comparison, here's some of the nutritional info on Purina Mills' Flock Raiser Blue Seals Grow and Show (which is what I feed my birds once they feather out.) I've always gone with the 20% for young ducklings then worked them down to a lower percentage protein feed as they grow, but not everyone does this. I don't use a layer feed, because I have drakes as well as ducks, but I do provide oyster shell free choice.

I hope this helps you find a feed locally.

I'm new to keeping ducks and iv read all I can and spoke to people but I'm still confused on what to feed my ducks I have 2 aylesbury ducks 1 duck and 1 drake they are kept with chickens and they all share feed so I now buy a feed that they can all eat but my ducks are about 19 weeks old and iv kept them on grower pellets my girl ain't laying yet is it ok for them to still be on growers or should I be feeding them something else?

Back
Top Bottom