What do you feed your quail?

Luckyejt

Hatching
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Just looking for different input on what everyone feeds their quail? What kind of feed,snacks,etc. Also what brands? Right now I feed mine Purina game bird feed with some different greens from my garden, tomato plants clippings, and oyster shell. I am looking into finding feed with a higher protein than 20%. What do you feed your quail and how is it working for you? Thank you for all of your input.

I feed Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird. It has 26% protein in it. However I can not always get this high of protein feed where I live. And sometimes have to feed a lower protein feed, such as the 20% that you mentioned.

The thing I have noticed the most about the quail and the higher protein is that they lay less "mishappen" eggs. In other words, bigger, better shaped eggs, and more frequently. None of those tiny, soft eggs. or fart eggs.

The birds also molt quicker, and feel better during a molt.

As far as treats for the quail, my birds love quartered apples or peaches, sugar snap peas in the pod, all kinds of sprouts and greens, a seed mix made of wild bird seeds, and of course mealworms. I spoil em' rotten. LOL

yea, my birds always loved corn on the cob.

if you are using purina game bird feed. you should ask your feed store to get your Purina Gamebird STARTENA its their 30% crumbles, instead of 20%.

my birds use to like tomatoe slices, corn, greens, bugs i would dig up under the pen, boiled egg. You can almost feed them anything healthy and see if they like it.

Thank y'all so much for all of the advice, I will try a few of the different treats and look for the higher protein feeds. Does anyone have input about giving them turkey feed with the higher protein?

If you can't get the proper game bird starter with 26 to 30% protein, high protein turkey starter would likely be the best second choice... Good luck, Bill

i've used turkey starter before, it was 28%. but be wary that alot of turkey starters are medicated, as feeding medicated to non-medicated feed to quails has been a HUGE discussion i''ll just use my personal feeling about it. I'm not trying to start this up

i don't feed medicated feed to quails, some people this is all they can get, so they use it with no problems. But if i had a choice between a 24% GBS and a 26% medicated turkey starter, i'm going GBS.

I only feed startena, every bird, their whole life.... no treats to speak of, no shells. Just startena and water.... they are fat and healthy. Bill

Living with a trail just outside my backyard, we have nest/baby quail every year that we try to help over our wall. Feeding is now also a joy. I have used regular bird feed along w/ greens and apples, etc.

Back
Top Bottom