What do you get when you add a nosy mule & a serama in a cage @ 5 am?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by High Roost Ranch, May 11, 2010.

1. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

A funny, scary, good ending story.

So I sold a serama yesterday, and I gave him a bath, blow dried him and set him out on my patio in a temporary cage for the night for his shipping day today.

Well, I have this stray mule that adopted us in March. Yes, he literally wandered in out of the state park and onto the ranch here with no one to claim him. Consider him wild until you can get a hand on him and a good hold, then he's the perfect gentleman. I let him hang around the yard loose, kind of as a deterrent to unsavory wildlife. I hear they are good watch dogs in that aspect. Well, this one is that and a wee bit more. He's a nosy pain in the back pockets and is always getting into places he shouldn't. But I thought he'd never bother a little serama in a boring cage setting on my patio beside the back stairs. How wrong I was!

At 5 am, I'm jerked out of sleep to a crash, boom, bang and it's getting louder and I can hear mule hooves on my patio along with the banging. Wondering what Jack Ass (that is his name) has gotten himself into now, I run out the back door in my pjs and barefeet. At first, it didn't register that my cage wasn't where I left it, because I thought that stupid mule was carrying away the cage as he was exiting stage left off the patio. No such luck. That dang mule hooked his halter somehow on the cage, and there goes my serama flying through the air in the cage, at the mules head. The more the mule moves, the more the cage is moving and it's like adding alka seltzer to a bottle of coke. Not a good thing. The mule is running backwards, with the cage with a serama in it in hot pursuit attacking his head, LOL. Yeah, I can laugh about it now but was mortified when it was all taking place.

Barefoot, trying not to panic the mule thinking for sure this isn't going to be a good outcome for the tiny serama confined to that cage that's attached to the crazy mule's halter, all I could do was try to get close to him to try to catch him, which made him want to move faster in reverse. Then he swung around, around again in a circle, and on his third time around, cage & serama flinging out sideways, by the luck of I don't know what, the door swung open and out launched the serama. Poor guy went through the air and landed on his feet. The serama didn't dare move (I think he was kind of surprised by the eject button that materialized, and then the mule started backing towards him. If that wasn't enough, the other horse I have out at night with the mule came to investigate and get in on the rescue attempt, or maybe is was the theft attempt of the serama and cage, at that point, it was hard to tell. And by this time, the whole act is moving towards the poultry pens so all the birds are going crazy, adding to the commotion.

I snatched up the serama before he was ran over by the crazy mule and his 4 legged partner in crime (better late than never I guess she was thinking). Ran the serama over to a cage out of the mule's way and then tried again for the cage and the mule. Who would have thought a mule could still run with a cage hanging off his nose??? Well, he can and he did! By this time he's rounded the house, is wearing the cage completely over his head, the dogs are in hot pursuit of the cage bandit now minus serama, and all hell is royally breaking loose. The mule runs into the grove of trees we have here, through the thickest part (of course, what better way to thoroughly lodge a cage into thine own head). Up a little hill, and on the downward slope, he lands his entire front end in the cage, and does a swan dive. (The cage is a medium sized heavy duty wire dog kennel, not a kennel cab but the wire floor cages people use in their houses). I round the big oak tree to find the mule, butt up in the air, cage over his head with his front through the cage. Could this get any worse?

After a lot of fast and quiet talking, I get up to the mule and settle him enough to work his front end out of the cage, and get him unwrapped from it. I put him in a catch pen after checking him over-he's only got a tiny nick on him thankfully after all that. Then ran back to check the serama over. He was just fine-not a mark on him anywhere, and still clean. But I bet he doesn't want to take that ride again any time soon. The cage? Beyond hope. As I'm walking up from the grove with the cage, my daughter comes out, saying why are you carrying a cage at this time in the morning. Or darling daughter, if you only knew why...

So that's how my day started. Luckily that was the most excitement of the day. Not sure I could have handled any more like that in one day. And the mule? He's been grounded to the catch pen at night now. Serama caught his flight (the second one of the day actually but this one with the post office), and I bet he'll have a tale to tell his new friends when he gets to his destination. [​IMG]

Never a dull moment with critters involved!

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. Papadavid

Papadavid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Heck of a way to start anyone's morning!! I never got anything free, found, lost, or given to me that didn't end up costing me something. Good story.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Glad it turned out OK in the end.

Imp

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] That was vividly amazing! [​IMG] Poor mule, poor little serama! What a rude awakening that must have been for him!

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    [​IMG] Soooo..... did ya happen to get any pictures of that? (kidding) What a story! You can tell that one to your dinner guests for years!

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

What I wouldn't have given for a video camera... And Papadavid, I am coming into more understanding of exactly what you mean by it costing, LOL. Anyone want a mule???? [​IMG]

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG! What a morning! lololol

8. ChickensRCool

ChickensRCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] Gotta read this one to my family.

9. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    What a video that would have been!! Just imagining the scene is hilarious and your description is great. Thank goodness for the "eject button", but don't you know the poor little serama was thinking life had definitely taken a turn for the worse?!

10. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    LOL....Thanks for sharing. Makes me miss my mule!! I'm glad everything turned out good and you came out of it with a great story! Mules can be a big pain but mine was a complete gentleman, as long as I knew who was boss, and that was him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by