What do you give a turkey who is in pain?

welcome-byc.gif

Along with the anti-inflammatory try to keep him on soft bedding or in a sandy run with no opportunity to roost.

The formulary in the link below is helpful (actually, the entire book can be downloaded for free):

ACETYLSALICYLIC ACID - Aspirin (Butler; Vedco)
Available as tablets (5 or 60 grain) for oral administration. Also
available as 1.25 grain orange-flavored chewable tablets. May be
effective as an analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory agent
in some avian species. May be indicated to prevent clot formation
and embolisms secondary to egg-related peritonitis, granulomatous
diseases and shock. Uricosuric at low doses and may be
effective in some cases of acute and chronic gout. A five grain tablet
can be mixed in 30 ml of diluent and administered at a dose of 0.5
ml/kg, TID (or 1 tablet per pint of drinking water).

from: Avian medicine: Principles and Applications (formulary chap. 18) : http://www.avianmedicine.net/ampa.html
(most
OTC Aspirin is 81mg/325mg.).

Good luck!

my turkey fell and hurt his leg two days ago. I have been giving him one 100 mg tablet of ibuprohen every 6 hours. He is approx. 30 lbs. Worked good, the swelling went down and after two days he is back up and walking around albeit with a limp. I know given more time his leg will improve.

I had a turkey with a leg injury/limp last year, couldn't decide whether to cull or not. Anyways it took months and months for it to improve and she still limps (hen) but she's turned out to be a great nest sitter and has had 2 hatches since then. I had tried to isolate her but she went berserk away from her social group and was hurting herself more, so I let her out to freerange all day with the others, and like I said, over time, it got better. but it's still there, very mildly.

Back
Top Bottom