1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What do you have predator wise?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by southerndesert, Jul 13, 2011.

1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I lived in MI, WI, and IL. before moving to AZ and in those lush green areas we had to deal with many of the same predators as I read about here and I feel for you all. Here in AZ I have not seen a raccoon, possum, weasel, or even a skunk as we are in the desert away from any natural or man made source for drinking water.

We deal with some formidable foes though nothing like the bear attack I read about here....

Our main headaches are from,

Hawks (several species especially in winter)
    Coyote
    Fox
    Stray dogs
    Rats and ground squirrels
    Snakes

That is about it for our area that we actually see around our property and I know that is a small list for many here at the forum. Figured this thread may help some new to keeping poultry to see what is in their area and what to prepare for when building their coop/pen.

So what do you have to deal with?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Ummm...don't know what to say about post #2...lol. [​IMG]

We have raccoons, coyotes (just hear them sometimes of the late evenings/nights, but haven't seen any out and about), possums, lots of red tailed hawks. I'm sure we must have foxes, but I've not actually seen any around here. I've seen plenty of snakes around here, but not anything dangerous. Come to think of it, I've not seen just the common rat snake (which I guess is what I grew up calling a black snake - although they weren't really black) around here either??? I worry more about dogs though than the wild critters....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    what the heck is that fourth pic of? [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

earlier this year we've had losses to
    stray dogs
    coyotes
    foxes
    raccoons

have lost eggs to skunks and snakes (which one snake in particular I don't mind eating an egg or two since she is our resident girl and helps keep the rodents down)

in the area we also have mountain lions
    bobcats
    ringtail cats
    weasels

but have never had any losses from them...... yet

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:i want one as a pet.. even if it is a manmade taxidermy special

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:I promise I will never EVER move to Oklahoma....I may never even visit...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I promise I will never EVER move to Oklahoma....I may never even visit...

x2

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:i want one as a pet.. even if it is a manmade taxidermy special

looks like one of my pits LOL

obtw we have yotes fox both kind bobkitties and the usual coon possum skunk weasels otter nutria muskrat hawk redtails and kestrels and ospreys and owls [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. clinkski

clinkski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Waterbury Center, VT
    I lost 5 chickens to bears - an attack this past fallhe nabbed 3 and then this spring he nabbed another 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by