What do you keep in an Emergency Kit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heidi65, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    I want to make sure I have what I need in case something happens to one of our girls. Currently in our kit we have Vet wrap, white gauze, sharp scissors, tweezers for taking care of wrapping.

As for wound care we have Vetericyn (the dog eye wash) Silver Sulfadiazine, Pick No More, Vet Rx, Bactrim and a small amount of Metacam left.

What all should I have on hand? We have 12 girls in our flock and they mean the world to us!

[​IMG]
    Thanks for any and all advise!

Here is a funny picture for everyone. Our rottie Stormee is afraid of our chickens, if she knew that Taffy had decided to take a nap near her and that I got a picture she would of died, she is so scared of them it is so funny. Can you believe a 100 lb dog is so afraid for 5 lbs bird? lol

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    It seems like you have a very good start so far. One thing that I thought of was Corid, it's a wormer for cows but if you suspect your flock has coccidiosis it works very well. There is a chart on BYC somewhere that tells you the dosages for Corid for your flock, I'm just not sure where it is! :lol: Another thing I can think of is Corona Cream, normally in the horse aisle in TSC or Family Farm and Home, this is good to have if your bird gets a cut or something like that. Hopefully this helps!

That is funny! Our two dogs are afraid of our chickens and then our puppy is just a big ole boy that doesn't even know the chickens are there! Very pretty dog by the way, I love Rotties!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    Thank you! Is there a time table that you should worm your chickens? We have bought all of ours at about 2-3 days old except our buff and they were about 5 months old when we got them. We have never wormed any of them. I know for a fact there have never been chickens on this property because we bought the lot and built on it.

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Your welcome! Normally we just do it when we notice a loss of weight in our chickens and unnormal, diarrhea like poop making us believe they have cocci. But, even if you're not quite sure they have, but they just seem a little off and have diarrhea it doesn't hurt to give them a dose or two. And with the Corid if you have to give it to your flock you just want to maybe ask some other BYC members about the exact dosages and withdrawal times for the eggs, I would tell ya but I can't remember myself! :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by