what do you keep your feed in???

Melissamay

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
New Hampshire
I have a large rubbermaid with latching handles holding my feed and scratch. I keep it right outside my run. I've never had anything go after my chickens but when i went to shut the hen door tonight the rubbermaid was all scratched or chewed up on the side but the mysterious pest gave up. I need a better way to store my feed and I'm curious, how do you store your feed and... what's going after it. It happened between the hours of 1pm and 8 pm. Thank you for your time :)

Last edited:
It's impossible to say what tried to get into your feed. It could have been any of a number of animals. I've always stored my feed in metal 55 gallon drums.

I use a 31 gallon metal garbage can(s), but you don't want to use one outside in the elements like that because it will sweat. I use mine inside an insulated garage where it pretty much stays dry year round but does get hot in the summer. I have to be careful not to keep feed too long in the summer.

Raccoons will try to enter bins but I have no idea if that is what it is.

Last edited:
Galvanized metal trash cans. You can get the at Wal-mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware and most feed stores. You can also get smaller ones at feed stores as well. One drawback, you need to seal the top of the can near the handle where it is fastened into the lid. I used a little clear silicon and made it waterproof. For additional protection, you could place a rubber strap like the type used in tying down tarps. It should hook from one can handle to the other through the lid and be tight. That will keep out everything but bears and yeti's.....

Just read about the trash bag idea. That's a good idea in the metal trash can as well.

Last edited:
Rubbermate tubs will get eaten into by mice rats racoon possums etc.. I also used an old cooler they chew through the top of the lid but not through the insulated part. I quit using it before that happened. My two containers are now a small metal trash can(50 lbs feed fits just fine) and a very big old mailbox in which a 50 lbs bag fits perfect. both are inside a shed out of the weather.

I had squirrels chew all the way through those heavy plastic deck boxes to get at bird seed years ago, so we store our feed in the basement, some just in the bags it comes in, some in metal trash cans. It'll all be in cans once I remember to buy some more.

Back
Top Bottom