What do you keep your free choice calcium in

I use these. You can poke two holes in the sides to attach with another cable tie to stabilize, or use screws and washers to attach to a wooden post. Cheap and easy to replace. You can also use vinegar jugs or any other that's workable.
b0921527afac6f83c17f8a7ec1350ee7.jpg

I use the small feeder from when they were babies but it's constantly full of sand so I shake off the sand and a bunch of the oyster goes with it but the girls come running over to eat it like it's brand new and they've never seen it before. Chickens!

I use these. You can poke two holes in the sides to attach with another cable tie to stabilize, or use screws and washers to attach to a wooden post. Cheap and easy to replace. You can also use vinegar jugs or any other that's workable.
View attachment 2350117
Since I always have milk or vinegar jugs piling up in the recycles, I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!

I use cleaned 6oz cat food cans, with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. I then just used a few screws to attach it to a wall of the coop. I mounted it a few inches off the ground, which seems to help with beaking out/scatter and bedding ending up in there.

The milk jug idea looks like it would solve one of my feed container issues! What a great idea. I have the PVC feeders for oyster/egg shell and grit. I have a bungee cord around them to hold them next to the fence.

When I bought the PVC components, the guy at the hardware store said, "Oh, building a feeder, huh?" I don't look like I do plumbing. :)

Hi all, I have 10 chickens, 6 ducks and 2 geese who are fed Nutrena All-Flock. I wash, dry, and crush the eggshells and give back to them for their calcium. However, no matter what I have tried to put the shells in, it gets knocked over and scattered about because they weigh so little. I have tried heavy bowls and regular feeders as well as hanging the feeders (the geese ate the rope). I should probably build something to hold the bowl or feeder steady but am neck deep in other projects. Just looking for ideas. Thanks!
I’ve heard you aren’t supposed to but I mix it directly into their feed and if they’re getting too much (their eggshells get that sandpaper texture) I give them a little less. Alternatively just scatter it in one corner of your coop/run for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom