What do you like/dislike about your coop?

My first coop, at one time was a reptile cage made of wood. I no longer needed a 8ft x 3ft cage and couldn't fit it in my newly bought house's doors. So I decided to turn it into a coop. I took the glass out and replaced it with wire. But unfortunately it was not made to withstand outdoor life. So the doors fell off eventually and rotted. I'm having to replace them now. So if I was to do it over again I would of sealed it and painted over that with some outdoor paint.

Nest boxes are accessible from outside. No need to tread poop to gather eggs.

I can water from outside, and waterer is under nest boxes, so they can't stand/poop on or in it.

I built my roosts over an open bottom with 2"x2" wire inside and out so droppings fall through to the ground.

I built my feeder to the wall, so they can't stand on it or knock it around.

Dislikes:

If I had it to do over again, I'd build a little bigger, but I worked with what I had. Mine is 4' x 8'.

I can't feed from outside, but I'm brainstorming on that.

The one we are building now will be like the first one but will have bigger windows on the sides which is what I told dh I wanted on the first one lol. His ideas for having lower roosts ( I had previously had them up high with a ladder that they ended up not using) were better than mine. My idea for larger windows/more open sides and more air circulation turned out to be more useful. So this time we will combine them for the newer coops. Sometimes you just have to keep trying different things to see what works for your enviornment and your particular birds.

I wish we had been serious in building our coop. It's framed with salvaged pallets. Only 4' high. I need it to be taller, for my cleaning & other duties. Also, my hutch is on the ground with pallets & boards covered deeply with straw for flooring. I now know my flock would love their home above the ground. Live & learn! The straw is good for me, it's cheap & easy to rake out & add to my compost pile.

well my'n is going to be in the barn. One thing I already dislike is that it gets pretty hot in there, even though there are two big doors, ceiling fans and windows. But if you have the fans on it gets cool.

2) roosts!
3) ventilation
4) run
5) nest boxes

Dislikes: 1) short height (can't stand up in it!)
2) difficult to place waterer/feeder
3) too low, need to raise it up 2-3'
4) minimal light/not enough windows

Last edited:
I use an ark tractor as a stationary coop.

Like:
Good ventilation
Hardware cloth covering openings (instead of chicken wire, etc.)
Easy to access, big door
Platform under the roosting pole means my flightless chickens have easy access

Dislike:
Run and floor exposed to rain (which wouldn't be a problem if I used it as a tractor)
Nesting box at the same level as the roosting pole
Mesh under roosting pole instead of a flat board

Quote:
I agree
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom