What do you like/dislike about your duck breed?

kmom246

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Nevada
I think I'm doing good with the chickens, so thinking of adding ducks to the mix. Thanks in advance for all your comments.

I have indian runners...

Good things:
they lay a LOT of eggs. They are exceptionally cute with their upright posture. they are also quite comical and will make you laugh. They can be very endearing and will make you smile all the time. The run everywhere, not waddle, so they are fast! mine are strickly pets and get to go to outtings to a local lake often where they love to run around. they also don't fly. They tend to walk together every where which makes them easier to herd.

Bad things:
They can be super duper skittish of people if not raised closely with humans. Mine spend time with me everyday and still get scared of me. The females can get really loud if they are unhappy or want something (i live in a townhome and none of my neighbor's complain). they don't go broody and won't set their eggs.

overall i love my duckies, even with their faults. depending on what you like to do with your ducks (for eggs, for beauty, for meat, pets only etc) will probably most determine which breed you'd be best with.

I have Welsh Harlequin

I can't stand that I get an egg a day from the girls.My stomach hurts from laughing at their antics. The cull drakes were so tasty I may have to hatch more...

Seriously, the only drawbacks to WH's are the drawbacks to ducks in general-messy,messy,messy.Oh, and mine haven't set yet.Supposedly they are better setters than Khakis or Runners, but mine don't seem interested yet.

Get ducks, get ducks,get ducks

Pro-everything

Con-nothing.

But I am very biased.
smile.png

Runners
Pro: eggs, no broodiness, funny as heck when they run, can't fly
Con: Afraid of their own shadows, very messy

Khaki Campbells
Pro: eggs, no broodiness, can't fly
Con: Afraid of their own shadows, very messy

Buffs
Pro: eggs, no broodiness, can't fly
Con: very messy, seasonal layers so no eggs in Winter, LOUD!

I love my ducks, but have to agree with Miss Prissy, They poop way too much!!!!!!!!

If you think chickens are messy, you don't want ducks!!!!!!!!

I have Khaki Campbells and a Peking

Pros, they are the cutest things to watch! I love to see them walking around the yard quacking away! My Khaki Campbell (her name is Caramel) lays an egg faithfully everyday!!!

Cons, they are very messy!!!!! You will never have another clean waterer again! I have a kiddy pool for them from wal-mart and they still destroy every waterer I have! And my drake (and a friend of mine her drake) is violent towards my chickens. So I am trying to keep them separated.

I love my ducks to pieces......but I will not be getting anymore.
smile.png

(I had Swedish Blues but sold them they were just as fun and cute)

Back
Top Bottom