What do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvchicks8, Jun 11, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I am thinking of getting 3 muscovy ducklings 3-6 weeks old. How much do they usually go for?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

depends on 1. where your getting them from and 2. what you want to get color wise and quality wise, looking for pets/egg layers or breeders/show birds (i dont even know if they show muscovies but ya know ) ?

I can get muscovy ducklings that are just backyard pet's babies for 2-5$ for 1 day old...from really good breeding stock and some of the uncommon colors 10$ a baby tops IMO.

So I'd say 5-7$ is a good price range to expect them for atleast in my area.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks these are chocolates at 3 weeks old for pets really. A lady down the road has a farm with 15 babies

4. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I think at 3 weeks old it would depend on what she has put in to them in terms of time/money. If she has brooded them on her own and taken time to clean brooders pay for feed ect. then I would expect her to ask a little bit more. If they are out with mom and free ranging for a good part of the time, I personally would expect to pay less. Not because of the quality, just because of the expense to the owner. I would pay up to $10.00 for a healthy, thriving 3 week old with colors I was excited about. But would definantly shoot for the $5.00 range first.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    What do they need in terms of winter protection? I mean are they hardy in winter or do they need to be in basement or somthing? Any info on them I would LOVE:). I have 7 acres and a brook that runs through the backyard and in summer I plan on only putting them in at night like the chickens and letting them in the morning.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

$5 would be a fair price here probably too.

I had my 5-6wk old listed for $10 and got ONE response off craigslist. everyones been selling or trying to sell them for $10 as day olds this year...craziness i think. I kinda wanna keep em a little longer anyway [​IMG]

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They just need a dry, windproof shed to go into during the winter, sometimes they wont even use it but they do need it. My babies now mostly sleep outside and a few sleep in the plastic dog house in their pen. the weather has been nice, besides rain, so theres no real need for bigger housing for mine.

8. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Can they use a large dog carrier for night times with shavings I do not have fencing up for them they just wander around as I have alot of land for them. Will they go in at night like the chickens do???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by