What do you put in your brooder.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I can't believe how quick these guys have grown. I take that back, they have been eating like nobodies business. I have paper towels down now, but I read to go to something different like shavings or sand.

My question is, the litte poops poop and make hella messes. What have yall found that cleans up easy. Do you clean your brooder once a day?

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I use rubber shelf liner for a week, then pine chips till I can get them on wire. They are a mess in the brooder anyway I'v tried. The older they get the worse they are...I just moved some 12 day old chukars out to the shop on wire... They are WAY confused by the change thou...Bill

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use cloth towels for the first week to 2 weeks then they go on Equine Fresh pelleted stall bedding. I only have to clean the brooder about once every week or every other week depending on how many are in the brooder, they don't stink at all with the pelleted bedding. The pellets break down into sawdust, which makes them want to dust bathe. They 'stir' the bedding every day for me, but I stir it until it starts breaking down real well.

4. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Where do you get it from?

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I get it at tractor supply company but they carry it at most of the other feed stores in my area. It is pelleted stall bedding for horses.

6. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    sweet I will try it out.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Cloth Towels For Week 1 Then (dare I Say It? ) Newspaper

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I never have enough to use for bedding, I'm always running out of paper just using it to pack eggs!

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Pop Lives In Retirement Community... Many Older Folks With Nothin To Do But Read The Paper And Mow The Grass Once A Week [​IMG] If Asked Nicely They Gladly Save Newspapers... Lucky Me. I Get Old Papers As They Are Created And Old Papers That Have Been Shredded For Egg Packing Materials... Worst Case Scenario You Can Always Knock Off A Paper Box [​IMG]

10. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

News paper then some kitchen wipes (the ones that you buy in a big roll)

Lasted for like half a day so I would move the light to the other side of my fishtank and clean up the poo on one side

Its not a good look when you see them all sitting on poo and you are thinking is that food?

Switched to sawdust on day five... Not that it is easier to clean cos I had problems trying to roll it up and move it fresh saw dust when I did it with my chickens.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by