What do you store inside your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catchthewind, Apr 14, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    We were planning on loft storage in our coop, but it ended up shorter than we planned and we are discussing either creating a smaller loft storage, or scrapping it all together and putting in a small cupboard or something instead. The coop is close to our basement, so I would keep shavings in there in either case. The feeder we are considering will hold a whole bag of food. The only other things I can think of are a scoop for the poop board and a bucket to scoop it into to carry it to the compost. I'm sure here are other things that would be handy to have in the coop though rather than the basement. What do you store in yours?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    You may consider a chicken medic kit in the coop for quick treatment.

3. guard278th

guard278th Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Rogersville Tn
    Extra fencing supplies ,wire ,staples,hammer ect

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Feed, pine bedding, a broom, a rake, and eventually a sink. [​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I have a loaded pellet rifle in the coop to take care of a predator.

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We keep three of those plastic garbage cans with snug lids and keep all my feed in them. So easy to feed when everything is safe, close and dry. I also keep all my feeders and chick waterers on a shelf in the small room where I keep new mamas and their chicks. Dh converted two rooms in the old house on our property for my two coops. 50'x20' run is attached but they mostly free range.

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Lets see ... buckets and wheelbarrow, shavings, shovel, rake, broom, extra feeders and waterers, chain and s hooks, thermometer, tools (hammer, pliers, nails, screws, saw, washers, etc.) gallon jugs of clean water, bandaids and clean towel, extra feed and treats (grit, oyster shell, scratch, wheat, BOSS, etc.) battery powered radio, umbrella, plastic bags, poo scraper, nail trimmer, blood stop, old t-shirt or jacket in case I have a bird bleeding and flapping while there in nice clothes. Then there's the live traps and catfood for bait, the isolation cage, trash can, flashlight, bird catch net, and various meds (wormer, antibiotic salve, vaseline.) I wish I could keep my .22 out there, too, but it is too humid here and it would rust.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I keep chicken feed and scratch indoors in our bird room in Vittles Vaults, and take out only that day's rations every morning. In the coop, I have a cupboard with: grit, oystershell, and papertowels and Poop Off. These are the items I use frequently, so they're in the top drawer. In other drawers, I keep chicken medical supplies and extra dishes.

The poop scooper, rake, litter pan and broom are hanging up on nails on the outside of the back of the coop.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I usually only visit my coop in my golf cart. I always have a gun on the cart. Never leave home without a gun.

10. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    My chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by