What do you think of Cochins?

Do you like cochins?

• Total voters
Apr 16, 2020
Northern Florida
I am looking for another few chickens to add to my flock, and I want to know if Cochin hens are a friendly and docile breed to add to a flock. And whether you like the bantam or regular sized more or if you like both equally. If you have other breed suggestions please post below! Also if you answer the poll please post why you answered that! Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I am looking for another few chickens to add to my flock, and I want to know if chochin hens are a friendly and docile breed to add to a flock. And whether you like the bantam or regular sized more or if you like both equally. If you have other breed suggestions please post below! Also if you answer the poll please post why you answered that! Thank you in advance!
Cochins are the most docile chickens I have ever encountered. I had a bantam partridge Cochin to watch after my standard flock for awhile; he didn’t have an aggressive bone in his body.

I currently raise silkies and satins. If I were to switch to any other breed it would be Cochins. I have a friend with Cochins and their temperament is much more friendly. My silkies and satins are skittish and usually run away from me when I approach them. Cochins seem to like attention more. And they are beautiful.

We purchased two standard blue cochin chicks last spring, along with several other breeds to replenish our flock. I have found them to be very friendly and docile. One of the cochins, Stormy, acts more like a dog than a chicken. When I'm in the coop or pen, she's constantly under foot and follows me wherever I go. If I stand near a hay bale, she will jump up on the bale to be closer to me, and get petted! Unfortunately, she seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order and slightly picked on. I LOVE them, though, and would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants friendly, gentle hens. They're also very big, very gorgeous puffballs.

Cochins are the most docile chickens I have ever encountered. I had a bantam partridge Cochin to watch after my standard flock for awhile; he didn’t have an aggressive bone in his body.
Absolutely — I have two Cochin roosters and they are VERY non-aggressive — a bit standoffish and toddle like old men — but they are kind and never have shown any desire to attack me.

Back
Top Bottom